The Firearms Forum banner

Most desireable Mosin?

6K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  olafhardt 
#1 ·
Hi Folks, I'm interested in a Mosin Nagant. I want a good looking & maybe slightly collectable shooter. Wouldn't mind a sniper but don't want to pay that much. Two Wright Arms in Springtown has an assortment at different (kinda high!) prices. I have no idea what to look for. Thank's for any advice-Dave

#3 ·
The Finn's are the best of the Nagants IMO also. While I don't think any Nagant will have great value as a collectible, they're fantastic firearms. I'd look for a 28/30 Finn if you can find one.

#4 ·
The more collectable Mosins are, like the last few said, Finns, like the M39. Also are the pre 91/30s and M38, noncounterbored. M44s are pretty common, but, if you find one with a very good bore and stock looks unissued, don't hesitate to get that one, too.

#7 ·
classicarms.us has type 53 chinese mosins (M44). These were made on the same machines that the russians used after they sent them to china (russia didn't trust china enough to let them make their own sks's at that time). They are supposed to be as good as the russian ones.

#8 ·
Finnish ones are more desirable because the stocks tend to be more robust, but the Chinese ones are rarer and as good as the Russian ones, but because of the much more humid temperatures, tend to be more miss then hit as far as finish and rust goes.

#15 ·
Ah, so that's the make of my M38's stock. Mine also has 02 on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.