Most Effective WWII American Fighter

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Pistolenschutze, Jan 6, 2006.

?

Most Effective American Fighter in WWII

1. P-38 Lightning

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. F6F Hellcat

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. P-47 Thunderbolt

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. P-51 Mustang

27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. But Polish, you could have a nice P-47 for the same money. Just think, you would be the first on your block to have your very own fighter armed with 8 fifty caliber machine guns! Fit a couple of 500 pounders under the wings and those trips to Texas would be much more enjoyable. Bad store audit? Dishonest employee? No problem! ;) :D
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Naw, at $1.50 a round, I'd rather feed 4 .50s than 8! Gotta save money SOMEWHERE...I'll just get CLOSER and AIM better....;)

Plus my driveway is pretty short, that arrester hook might come in handy when I get home....

But then again, CRANKING up the landing gear every day COULD get old....Hhhmmmm....:p
  3. It's interesting to note, Polish, that the Army did the same thing with black troops during the Civil War. If you want to read about unbridled heroism, take a look at the failed attack on Charlston or the Battle of the Petersburg Trench, both of which involved black troops under white leadership, and both were setups to "prove" black troops were inferior.