Most esoteric trivia contest submission

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buckshot, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Hey, if you didn't have enough to worry about with Obozo and the rest of D.C, let me help you out.

You may have seen the news yesterday and today about the big solar flare, the effects of which have now arrived at Earth, and are expected to be minimal to moderate and limited to the far northern latitudes. Some of you may know that really big solar events can produce effects here on earth very similar to EMP, potentially disrupting communications, the power grid, etc.

(If you haven't read One Second After, I can't recommend it highly enough.)

For more information there's a great private website called solarham.com that brings info from a lot of official sources together. You can also go to NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center. The cool thing about the NOAA site, and sorta the point of this message, is that you can sign up to have Alerts, Warnings and Updates e-mailed to you. I get them on my phone!

Unlike a human-caused EMP event, solar events come with some lead time. But you have to GET a warning for it to BE a warning.

I have no connection to solarham or NOAA. Just think it's cool stuff (and potentially useful.)

:patriotic:
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to sign up for the warning. That way I can have a headstart on looting. :D
  3. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I was gonna suggest you wear a tinfoil hat, but that might not be the best head cover during an EMP or a solar flare!:D