Most OVERRATED Class of naval Vessel in WWII...

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by polishshooter, Sep 11, 2006.

?

Most OVERRATED class of warship in WWII....

1. US "PT" Boats....

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. "Other..." (please explain!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. You could well be right on that, Polish, and from strictly a military history perspective, it's almost too bad that it didn't happen! :D The Navy chose the blend of firepower and armor very carefully indeed with the Iowa class battleships, and though the Yamato had a larger main battery (18.1 inch), their rate of fire was much slower than the 16 inchers of the Iowas. An armor-piercing shell weighing over a ton from the Iowa's 16 inch rifled cannon would have penetrated the Yamato's thickness of armor, I think, and our radar equipped fire control was MUCH more accurate than anything the Nips had. Only the shells that hit the target count in the end.
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah, I think the name the term all the Navies used was "Weight of Fire..."

Salvos of 9 -16 inchers coming every 2 minutes beats a salvo of 9-18.1 inchers coming every 4 minutes any day of the week in that regard, even IF you don't consider that with our superior fire control ours would be "straddling" quicker, and probably with a more concentrated fire too, so MORE hits per salvo TOO....

PLUS we DID have air superiority there too, all those unarmed or armed with only depth charges or 100lb GP bombs Avengers would have GLADLY "spotted" for them too, instead of making repeated "dry runs" at the Japs just to draw fire or make them maneuver just to MAYBE help them MISS with THEIR salvos at the CVEs and "Little Boys...."
  3. I had the opportunity to see one of the Iowa class battleships--USS New Jersey, BB 62--from less than 100 yards away once when I worked in San Francisco in the 1980s. She was sailing into San Francisco bay, headed southward toward the Navy facilities just as my wife and I were turning the corner of the Ferry Building on our way to lunch. I never imagined just how BIG those ships actually were. They were truly magnificent vessels. I still say, though, that by WWII they were obsolete as main fleet elements for naval combat, BUT, I would also argue that they made perfect sense when they were reactivated during the Regan years in that same role. As strange as it may sound, the positions are not incongruous. In the 1980s no one else had battleships and their psychological effect was enormous.
  4. bfld

bfld New Member

Also, the BBs were very effective at keeping Admirals out of the way of the sailors who actually worked for a living on the other ships. :)
  5. NickSS

NickSS New Member

I have worked on both the New Jersey and the Missori and they are great ships. As far as battle ship to battle ship Operations go the only time a German pocket Battleship ever fought a battle was between the Graph Spee and three British Crusers. Two of the cruisers were driven out of action by shell hits and the third withdrew. The German ship was damaged to a certain extent and put into a neutral port for repairs. The Brits got the port visit cut short and Hitler ordered the ship scuttled rather than risk it being defeated by the larger group of British ships that had congregated outside of the port. In the Pacific War asside from shore bobardment duty BBs also fought quite a few serface actions. The Washington beat the Japs off at Guadel Canal and in the Philipeans the old BBs salvaged from Pearl Harbor cought the Japanese southern taskforce in Suregato Straights and blew them to kingdom come with naval gunfire. I would not clasify that as insignificant.
  6. Not quite, Nick, but close. It is true the pocket battleships, except for Graph Spee, never did engage in a stand up fight against British battleships or cruisers, and both remaining ships of the class (Lutzow and Admiral Sheer) were sunk by aerial bombs before the war ended. However, at the Battle of the River Plate, the Graf Spee was moderately damaged by three British cruisers, HMS Exeter, HMS Ajax and HMS Achilles (while taking serious damage themselves) and put into port at Montevideo, Uruguay to make emergency repairs. Under the 72-hour rule for neutrals (Uruguay was officially neutral at that time), the ship was required to leave after being made seaworthy. The British tried to force her out of port through the use of a misinformation campaign intended to make the captain of the Graf Spee (Hans Langsdorff) believe additional British warships had arrived and were outside the harbor. Actually, there were no additional ships, only the three original cruisers, one of them severely damaged. Langsdorff off loaded most of his crew, then sailed his vessel part way out of the harbor, then scuttled her. Langsdorff himself then committed suicide like any good failed Nazi. :D The irony is that Graf Spee stood a good chance of getting away clean if Langsdorff possessed the courage to try. It was Langsdorff, not Hitler, who ordered the scuttling. Hitler ordered him to fight.