Most Underappreciated Aircraft of WWII...

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by polishshooter, Sep 9, 2006.

?

Most Underappreciated Aircraft of WWII...

1. Douglas A-20 (Boston)

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. The OTHER Lockheeds (Hudson, Ventura, Neptune...)

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. The B-18 Bolero

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. The USN "Blimps"

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Gosh, this internet thing is COOL isn't it? I didn't even have to leave my CHAIR to dig through bookshelves and boxes to find the reference to where the C-47 didn't cut it flying the Hump, so they replaced it with the Commando...:cool: And it wasn't that hard either....

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/c46_tech.htm

If you need MORE I will go dig out the REAL sources....;) :D :D :D
  2. polishshooter

Now HERE is an underappreciated one...

Attached Files:

3. Nope, it wasn't hard at all to verify that the C-47 DID fly the Hump, Polish.

http://www.kilroywashere.org/003-Pages/Hump/Hump.html

http://www.warbirdalley.com/c47.htm

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/feature/hump/hump.htm
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2006
  4. polishshooter

Oh, I'm NOT arguing that it DID fly the Hump, just that it was REPLACED by the C-46 when it was found to be "unsutable" by 1943, and it was the C-46, and not the C-47 that delivered the most cargo....and your FIRST source pretty much says it too, in the VERY last paragraph...

*We received the C-54 in early 1945. In fact, the aircraft we ferried over was a C-54. Her ID number was 999, the last numbers of her registration. It (999) was a headache for a radio operator using CW (code.) The original Hump operation was with the old DC3 (C47), then the C46 (Dumbo) which we trained in at Reno. I didn't make any Hump trips in C-47's although I made a few trips around India in them. I did make a few Hump trips in C-46's. It had more range and had a higher ceiling than the C-47's. The early 46's were prone to fuel leaks though. I lost a buddy when one blew up over the Rockies. I'll always remember that we made a bet on the Army Navy football game that year. He won. I was never able to pay him.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  5. OK, then we are on the same frequency after all it seems, the same page of the hymnal, so to speak. :D My only point was that the C-47 was used to fly the Hump, and indeed was the first aircraft utilized for that purpose and it served admirably. It is unquestionably true that the C-46 was utilized as well, and all the sources so indicate. Whatever the aircraft, it is the pilots who should be most honored for that dangerous duty. I read somewhere that the route over the Himalayas almost could be navigated without benefit of compasses or calculation simply by following the shiny aluminum carcuses of the aircraft that had crashed on the route.
  6. polishshooter

Yeah, And I guess that's why I probably should have included the Commando!

I TOO was surprised when I first read the Gooney Bird was not that effective over the Hump (Sorry, I 'mis-remembered' the source, which was a LONG time ago, and remembered it as 'C-46 NOT C-47, instead of C-47 and THEN C-46...;) ) but that stuck with me when I first read it, which honestly MUST have been in my teens...

I do NOT in any way mean to denigrate the C-47. I truly feel WITHOUT it we MAY not have won the WAR, or at least, it would have been TOUGHER by a long shot. It WAS the "workhorse" of the air, hands down. WE ALL know that, or SHOULD.

BUT it had IMPORTANT help, that we MAY not appreciate as much as we SHOULD....

I was interested because my Mom worked for about a year in 1943 before she married my Dad in '44, in the Curtiss Plant in Buffalo, the MAIN CUrtiss plant that turned out over a thousand Commandos (the other's wer in Louisville, KY, and a little one in St, Louis...)...I remember being disappointed that she DIDN'T work on the P-40, but the C-46. She remembered it distinctly, "I worked on the WINGS of a BIG plane, the C-46!" as well as her FIRST airplane flight, which was when Curtiss offered each of their employees a short flight IN a C-46 that was being tested...but when I asked her about the P-40 all I got is..."Our BIG planes were along the wall, and there was an assembly line running pretty quick through the middle of the plant with "little" planes on it...."

About a year ago I saw in a book a picture taken in 1943 of the inside of the Curtiss Plant in Buffalo, and there it was...C-46s wingtip to wingtip along the walls in various stages of finish, with workmen (women?) all over them, including the WINGS, with P-40s on the line going right up the middle...

I STRAINED but I couldn't tell if any of the "specs" on the wings of any of the Commandoos was Mom...but in my heart I KNOW she's there...

Which incidentally MAY have been the birth and incubation of (1) my appreciation of and "defending" of the P-40, (2) my appreciation and defending of the C-46, AND (3) my appreciation for ANYBODY'S service in WWII, civilian or military, no matter HOW "inconsequential."

Heck, she may have FLOWN on one she worked on, and then the same plane MAY have then flown the Hump!
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2006