The Firearms Forum banner

Mostly Home-Grown Hornady Lock-N-Load Primer Check

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  V509 
#1 ·
Mostly Home-Grown Hornady Lock-N-Load Primer Check

I've been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks now. I’ve found so much help and good information on the web from folks, hopefully this is helpful to somebody else with C.C.P. (can’t count primers)

I regularly run out of primers while make ammo and don’t realize it. I’m paying attention to the load by measuring, I’m checking OAL etc. on an interval and for whatever reason, I can’t seem to keep track of the number of remaining primers. Having a LNL AP, and after much forums reading and research, there are limited “off the shelf” solutions that I consider reasonable. Hornady makes a “LNL Basic Control Panel” but even the lowest price is about $120 and then you have to purchase the various options you want. Too much for my taste. I don’t need a counter and I don’t need a powder check, though I've knocked around the powder check just for cool factor.

Here is what I did for about $35 and it works great.

Attachments

#6 ·
Would be easy to ad a switch to the visual I made.... One reason I really like my older Hornady is the fact it primes on the down stroke and you can feel the primer seat and feel when there is no primer

Your picture gave me an idea. Your attachment at the top could attach to the Hornady existing fiberglass primer rod with a wire. At the Hornady tube that has the black plastic guide, a modified spade lug stuck to that plastic also has a wire. Run the two wires to some sensing circuit (piezo type to eliminate any voltage or current issues for that primer dust or any mini-spark) and it sets off a sound or led or 75 VAC at 60hz to your chair seat to break that reloading trance:D when the two come in contact.

#4 ·
I've read a lot of folks who mention that they can feel the primer seat and I've tried on several occasions to just pay close attention and for whatever reason there are times a primer will seat and I don't feel that "slight" increase in force.

#5 ·
Without a primer there is no resistance at all, hard to miss imo. Even an easy to seat primer will have some resistance.

Refilling the primer tube before you run out will save a bit of time though so it may be a nice add-on to the press.

#7 ·
Bottom line is I do not reload for speed, I pay attention to what is going on
I enjoy reloading
You will not hear me brag how many rounds per hour I can pump out
I frequently stop to inspect powder weight and oal even though it rarely changes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.