Moulds, Moulds and more Moulds!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Jan 23, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

O.k.

RCBS, Saeco (Redding), Lyman all make their moulds out of steel. Lee uses aluminum. Lee also offers a 6 cavity but I think it might be a bit to big or is that a possible option?

Is their a big difference in the final product? or

Is steel a better choice?

Why would you choose one over the other?
  2. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

At one time,most of the mould makers offered some 6 cavity moulds in popular styles (38 wadcutter for one).
    The biggest advantage to aluminum moulds is lower weight when you get into 6 cavities and lower cost.
    I've used both.The aluminum moulds can be preheated and will cast good bullets right away.The steel ones will throw a bunch of wrinkled ones until they get up to temperature.After that,I prefer the steel.
    I've had one aluminum mould fail because the sprue cutter hold down screw deformed the metal and the plate wouldn't sit flat.It was probably something I did to cause it to fail.
    If you are sure you'll like the bullet and will use it a lot,buy the steel.
    If you don't think you will cast more than five thousand of them,the aluimnum will suit you fine.
    I hope this helps,Robert.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

A rule of thumb I was given many years ago is: buy steel for centerfire and aluminum for black powder. It has to do strictly with the expected number of bullets you will be throwing down range.

Pops
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The above advice is what I would recommend!
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I've churned out about 600 .38 SWC's from an aluminum Lee double bullet mold without a hitch. I'm thinking about investing in a 6 cavity mold for the same bullet. Just follow Lee's advice about prepping the mold, and keeping it lubricated with bee's wax, and it'll work fine.