Mountin a scope on 91/30 mosin nagant

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by colmustard, Nov 18, 2008.

1. colmustard

colmustard New Member

2. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Not with the mount shown.
  3. colmustard

colmustard New Member

i know. i was wondering if i could have a side mount attached to the side of the stock or receiver to fit the said scope.
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

5. colmustard

colmustard New Member

So, with this side mount ( http://ioinc.us/mm5/merchant.mvc?Sc...IO&Product_Code=SCOP0016&Category_Code=Optics ) and this scope ( http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/POSP-Scope-8x42.html ) and a gunsmith i could have it working and accurate?

I'd need the AK style POSP mount with that scope mount not the SVD style?
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  6. colmustard

colmustard New Member

All together this seems to come out as a 500 dollar project...not sure its worth it
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Colmustard, I put mounts on my M-44 that were custom made by S&K, try them for pricing. http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html#

I used a long eye relief scope, a pistol style, because of the location of the mounts. The M-44 is dead on now, but the original iron sights were terrible and I solved my problem for approximately $170 (the rifle cost me $99).
  8. I might add, based on personal experience, that S&K makes very good quality stuff. I used one of their mounts to put a scope on one of my Swiss K-31s. It is dead on accurate.
  9. sarzak

sarzak New Member

col mustard
    posp scopes like the ones you are looking at are not easily adapted to purposes outside the intended design. you could get a mounting rail blank and create your own method of affixing it to your receiver. but why do that when the correct reproduction mounts and scopes are available, both pu and pe styles. but, as you noticed, that's about $500! for that price you buy a 91/30 w a pu scope already on it. ioc, rguns, and other surplus suppliers sell them. if you want to get a scope on it as cheap as possible, you can buy a kit w mount and bent bolt(drill n tap) but if you're not handy you're gonna have to pay a smith some bucks to mount it(try j&g for this mount). I think you're better off buying the surplus sniper
  10. HughLukeJr

HughLukeJr New Member

i also have looked into mounting a scope on my M/N and have found too many options. i was told not to alter my M/S in any way due to the condition of the gun(i replaced the stock with a synthedic stock and kept the original)so i think i want to go with a scope rail mounted to the rear site area and use a long eye relife scope.
    Since i have never used a long eye relife scope does anybody have any suggustions on what power i should get for deer hunting at 300yds or less or is it the same as any other scope?
    I have seen a lot of kits for 100$ or less including scope that mount to the rear site rail, any thoughts on these?
    OH, for anybody who has thoughts of removing the rear site and spring, its a bugger to get that site bar to line up with the role pin.
  11. ncbelly

ncbelly New Member

I actually have the same question. Does anyone have any input on these kits?
  12. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

13. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Yeah, but then you need to shave wood off the stock to get the mount to fit, are limited to that 4 power scope, have permanent holes drilled in the receiver. If I go scout mount and LER scope, none of it is permanent and I could restore the gun back to original. Here's my set up using a Darrell's scout scope mount and a red dot scope.

[​IMG]
  14. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

And you turned an $80 rifle into a $400 repro sniper.
    A PE mount doesn't require wood removal, and both the PU and PE have ring options for any scope you want to mount.
    That 3.5x scope isn't too limited, that rifle in the pic consistently hit a bowling ball sized rock at a lasered 750yrds with surplus ammo.;)
    Can your scout mount do that?:p
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heck at 750 yds I dont even think I could see a bowlingball without at least 10 power. I used an ATI stock and scope mount on my Mosin. I had the boltman do the boltwork. The rifle shoots 1.25" at 100 yds with handloads. The ATI mount is a drill and tap kit but isnt all that hard to install. Just follow the instructions and use a drill press. Dint try to wing it with a hand drill.