Movies past and present

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rommelvon, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Is it just me, or do the movies/tv shows really suck today? I'm sitting here watching shenandoah with jimmy stewart, even without all the fancy stuff they have today....this movie IMO is better than 90% of the crap out there today. Is it the movie stars?..John Wayne, Jimmy stewart etc compared to alec baldwin or george clooney?....what do you folks think?
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I believe it's because of the sexual content and profanity on screen and the lack of Honor & respect written into the characters today. Most movies today are written to titilate & shock the audience.

There will never be another "Shane".
    JMHO
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I agree, Berto. There was plenty of sexual tension in Shane, but it was subtle, not in-your-face. Same with Casablanca. And in the end, the characters did "the right thing."

And I think the foul language is just a crutch to avoid writing good dialogue. Why have an intelligent discourse when the character can just shout F-you! :rolleyes:
  4. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

You're not dreaming Rom. TV and movies really do suck these days.

Have you checked out cartoons lately? My 11 year old watches cartoons that use the words "jerk, dumb, fool, idiot, stupid" and frequently say things like "shut up." Ever wonder how our society is getting courser? Bugs Bunny... where are you?!

Hollywood and the media are simply overflowing with social engineering leftists who are themselves creatures of arrested development, mental defect, various pathologies, and perversions of all sorts. They can't help but produce garbage... they ARE garbage. Human debris as it were.

This is why I steer my young lad - as often as I can - away from the Cartoon Network and towards quality entertainment like the Western Channel (thank God he loves it), the Military Channel, the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, National Geographic Channel, etc. I knew I was bringing up a high quality human being when JJ came to me one day and told me that he just LOVED the Gene Autry Show, and Bat Masterson was really cool.

Yes friends, there is a God!
  5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Gadgets will never replace ability.
  6. One of my favorites as well, Berto, along with "High Noon" with Gary Cooper, Sergeant York (also Gary Cooper), and the John Wayne, films "Red River" and "The Searchers," not to mention his wonderful cavalry films.

I must agree with all of you. Movies today are so full of gratuitous sex and violence that it reminds me of the ancient Romans and their fascination with gladiatorial combat. I don't mind violence when it is necessary to the story and is not the primary focus of the movie. In fact, I watched once again the film "Saving Private Ryan" night before last. It is very violent, as any who have seen it would agree, yet the violence was necessay to the telling of the story. War is by definition violent and brutal, and Spielberg used that device effectively to tell a much larger and more important story. Last night I rented "Flags of Our Fathers" for the first time, and while highly violent in places, the violence was indeed necessary to the understanding of how the flag raising incident on Iwo Jima affected the lives of the men involved.
  7. berto64

berto64 Active Member

History Channel is running the "Band of Brothers" series today all the way thru.

Good acting, violent in places but altogether a great story of combat & brotherhood and it's historical to boot.

Occasionally something rises to the top, but not often.
  8. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

My personal favorite is "saving Private Ryan." I first watched it with my Great-Grampa before he died. By the end we were both crying...A truly moving movie. He was at the Battle for Omaha Beach and said it was the most horrible time he'd ever had...:(
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Thats what i kept telling my exwife...to no avail !!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

mike
    gn
  10. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

11. How long does it take her to stop laughing after you tell her that, Glock? I was just wondering. :D ;) :p