Mowing in Ga heat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gabob, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Last Thursday I mowed on pasture for three hours in the South Ga heat. Did not take water with me and "Bear" almost got me. ( Bear is a local term for heat exhaustion). Today I mowed for another three hours but took water this time. It was 90 degrees with 80% humidity. Got about three more hours to be finished, Got to fix my bat wing mower. It mows entire pasture in three hours. Got to replace a pillow block bearing on drive main drive shaft. Getting too old for this
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I did a 2 hour stretch couple days ago in 110+ heat. got in the groove with my MP3 player and didnt stop til i was outta grass. I had a splitting headache all that night.
  3. geds

geds New Member

Read the thread about Kidney stones.

Anyone can get a kidney stone who has gone through dehydration. After having one, the Bear doesn't motivate me to stay hydrated nearly as much as that stone does!
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I do 100 yards a week in the Fla heat, not to mention all this da** rain. I think I took a wrong turn in life way back somewheres:(
  5. geds

geds New Member

There are few things in life I hate worse than cutting grass! The dust and grass cause my sinuses to close up for a week, then its time to start over again!

When I was college age and living at home, Dad and I would take turns cutting the yard. I never saw him so mad as when he came home on my week to cut the grass to find I had hired a neighbor kid to cut it for me! I couldn't understand why he was so upset - I paid the kid from earnings from my job. But that didn't matter to Dad.
  6. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

you weren't wearing ear protection, were you? the noise from your mower, coupled with the noise from your headphones, will give you a headached, along with dehydration.

also, music is a distraction that can get you killed or maimed, so i would advise against listening to music any time you're handling equipment like a mower, chainsaw, etc.

remember, hearing protection now, or hearing aid later

and eye protection too -->:cool:
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Two friends from Cummings are up here in Alaska hunting with me right now. We had our first frost the other morning and it's staying in the 60's; around 35 every morning when we get up. They ain't complaining about the cool weather one bit, but started wood burner other evening, ha. They are seeing super nice caribou and a few moose in our travels; getting ready to kill some pretty quick. The one Ga guy got me into shooting a 30-378 Weatherby; and I luv that gun for long range. Most of their family have been up over the years, good guys actually and natural born hunters.
  8. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Don't you have beef or sheep in GA ? That's what they're for !! >MW
  9. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

When I had more horses they kept it mowed. Now I am unable to ride and down to two horses and a donkey. Too much pasture for them to keep down
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I go out in the early mornings while it's still cool, cut for a two, or three hrs., and call it a day! I can cut most of what I need cut in 8 hrs, or so, but choose to work at it a little at a time to avoid the heat. Of course with no rain here in a few months, there ain't that much grass to cut. My biggest problem are the deer, they are eating every thing I have planted. I guess I have some sleepless nights in my near future!
  11. geds

geds New Member

this year we've been blessed with rain. The previous several we had drought and instead of mowing the grass, we saved gas by walking across it and breaking it! :D
  12. geds

geds New Member

Lawn ornaments (horses) are too expensive. Get yourself a few goats and you won't have to mow, clean up kudzu, or trim your shrubs from about 4 ft down! :D
  13. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

one year it was so dry around here, the wind broke the grass:D
  14. geds

geds New Member

Wow! It's nice that you got wind! We only got wind with Thunderstorms; needless to say it was still as church during the sermon. The only wind coming from snoring parishioners! :D