1. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I remember trying MRE's back in the '80's (I think) when they were first being tried out on the Marines. I liked 'em, particularly the thick crackers. I know they have WAY more varieties these days.
    But has anyone tried MRE's from other countries? I hear the French have decent rats.
    But I'm looking for reviews of any and all modern or not so modern military rations that would be carried my an individual soldier. Only things that have been consumed by the poster.

I must reiterate that I'm a fan of both hardtack AND jerky!
  2. Try the C-rats, Max. The lima beans and ham are especially good . . . if you're trying to gag a maggot at 100 yards. :D;)
  3. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

They have not made Cs in decades. A shame, they were so much better than MREs
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have never had them but have been told the best are Norwegian, or was it Finnish. If not them then Swedish.

The Israelis contain a thing called Halva, which I now love. Dont know what its made from, thick heavy crumbly block, but I could always eat way more of it than anyone else. (Maybe Shimon could help).
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2009
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

In the last few years i have had my fill of mre's. Dont get me wrong they have a time and place. On the boat or in your pack when hunting. As far as long term food storage goes for emergency you need to try Mountain House freeze dried products. I have been posting quite a bit on another forum on this very subject. Just this week i have purchased 4 single serve meals from Acamedy Sports to try. The meals I got were beef stew, chili mac and beef, lasanga with beef and spegetti and meat sauce. All great.

The Mountain house meals require 1 1/2 cups of hot water. But the meals are great compaired to MRE's. The sauces are more grown up. The meals require salt but once you salt to tast they are very good. The mre's i consider to be more like chef boy yar de. These freeze dried meals are not. Better falvor. For long term emergency storage it is the way to go. Meals can come in # 10 cans which according to Mountain House can last some 25 years.

Modern military mre's can be purchased today on line just search mre. Also if you want to find out more about the mountain house stuff do a search for emergency essentials and you should find a link to some thing like beprepaired.com if i am not mistaken
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

http://www.jewishrecipes.org/jewish-foods/halva.html
  7. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

http://www.mreinfo.com/
    ...Has info and reviews on various nations' ration packs. I want to try some of those! Maybe not the Russian ones...they all look like cat food.