Multiple tactical shotgun questions

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by new308handloader, Aug 5, 2010.

1. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

Concerning tactical shotguns (mine is a Mossberg 590 SPX w/ 18.5” barrel)

What is the “real” distance limitation of various shot sizes in a short barreled gun?

i.e….00 buck, books say 30-40 yards…but is that because the shot is too spread out at that point to be accurate, or does the shot lose so much of its velocity at that point that it is useless?

i.e….slugs…I’m thinking 100 to 150 yards?

If it came down to it, and you could only carry one long gun (let’s say a shotgun), what various shot size shells would you consider a good variety?
    My guess would be:
    - Slugs for people or large game?
    - 00 buck for people or medium game?
    - #4 for birds, squirrels, turkey size game?
    - Flares? Bird bangers?

And finally…..the difference between 2 ¾” and 3”? If 3” holds more shot, will that increase the effective range?
  2. new308handloader

3. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  4. new308handloader

5. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

well i have tested my 590 20 in with everything no 8 cheepos go about 80 yards yes they do i patterned it across a lake i would still pepper a guy out to a hundred yards and my
    6,3 210 body would drop down and beg for mercy slugs drop like a rock i killed a deer at 150 yards with it i missed 2 times and aimed a foot over his back bang droped like a ton of bricks no4 everything oobuck everything any shot shell will do on people i have seen a grizz bear in ak shot with no 6 and they busted his jaw and they took out the
    frount shouldiers 2 hunters that were charged in our group the threat was gone
    i know my spelling sucks as for 3 in more metal down range ! look for max dram or fps
    some loads are weak 2.5 dram is mild 1165fps my 410 factory max no4 3in magnum load
    is the same as my factory 16 ga game load 1185 2.75 6 shot my best loads were from reloading !but follow the manual the box lies though i know no8 is recommended for
    partrige but no6 hi brass will not alwas take 1 down i yue no4 i guess you need
    to study up a bit i had to hope this helps
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the effective range of a shotgun is not determined by the barrel length but by the choke. with a cylinder bore 50 yards is about as far as you will get 00 to go and 30 yards is as far as birdshot will go. birdshot will not be very effective at that range however. slugs should be good out to 100 yards or perhaps 150.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    00buck shot will kill deer out to 100+ yds. I have seen these long shots taken by other huters. Persoanlly, I will not shoot at deer past 65yds with 00buck, my furtherest shot, and I have killed a lot of deer with a shot gun. A single 00buck pellet would probably put a real hurting on you out to 100yds., and kill you dead if it hit the right spot. A single #00 pellet is .33 diameter, 54gr. in weight, and has a BC of .071, out past 100yds., and still moving at 750fps, or more, it will be a nasty situation for anything on the receiving end. While 00buck shot is not intended for shots at long range, the pelets will travel much, much further than 100yds, if they don't hit anything to stop them. 30 to 40 yds is about the efective range for a tactical shot gun with Buck shot. Try some slugs in your gun, see how far down range you can still hit a gallon milk jug (about the same size as the heart lung area of a man, or deer). Try different types of slugs, you might find one that your gun likes best.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  8. new308handloader

Thanks Carver....good info!