musket

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by canteen, Sep 19, 2012.

1. canteen

canteen New Member

A musket (long gun,aprox. 69 caliper) converted to precussion, from the time frame early 1820's from 'Johnson Midd Conn'. I know there was a maker Robert Johnson in Middletown, Ct. Can you tell me anything about him? Volume of guns produced. How rare and desireable are his guns. If not R Johnson maybe (J) any other info. How much, if any, does a plain patch box add value to this type of gun? Does the type of conversion to precussion make a difference? Where, other than google and this site can you obtain information? Thank You.
  2. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF

Flayderman lists .69 caliber Model 1816 contract muskets by R. & J. D. Johnson of Middletown, with value range of $575 - $775 for percussion conversions.

Estimated 600 made ca. 1829-34.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Since the OP mentions a patch box, which muskets did not have, I think it might be a Model 1817 flintlock rifle. The date on the lockplate should tell and also whether it is rifled. Those were also converted to percussion but original or converted are more valuable than the 1816 muskets.

As always, we need good, clear pictures.

Jim
  4. canteen

canteen New Member

The date on the lock plate looked like 1821. Good point, it did have a patch box and other guns I have ever seen with patch boxes were rifles. I did not check if it was rifled (my error). Two guns in the same condition 1 a model1816 musket the other a model 1817 rifle, how much more is the rifled one worth than the musket?
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Going by Flayderman's 9th edition (which will do for a comparison), the R. & J.D. Johnson Model 1816 musket converted to percussion, in fine condition, runs $775. The R. Johnson Model 1817 rifle, converted to percussion runs $2200, while the converted R. & J.D. Johnson rifle runs $2000. For comparison, an original flintlock rifle in very good condition could run $6000+.

Jim