Mustang Trigger

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by CC45, Sep 23, 2012.

1. CC45

CC45 New Member

Hello

I bought a new aluminum trigger to replace this plastic trigger & I was able to remove the plastic trigger from my Colt Mustang but my question is, How do I position the spring in the hole at the bottom of the trigger. It fell out before I was able to see has it goes back together.
    Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heres the schematic for the Colt Mustang. The Red arrows represent all the springs associated with the mustang and thier place.

Attached Files:

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If that spring actuall came from that trigger and trigger bar assembly, and isnt showed on the schematic then its likely those 2 parts were not meant to be disassembled. the spring is a return spring for the trigger and should sit opver the tail of the trigger bar ahead of the pivot pins so it exerts pressure against the trigger keeping it upright.

Attached Files:

• CMT.jpg
      CMT.jpg
      File size:
      74.1 KB
      Views:
  4. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

That spring should sit inside the trigger. Getting it back in there with the pressure on the bar isn't going to be easy. It goes in from the bottom side of the trigger then the bar gets pressed up until you get the holes for the trigger bar pin aligned. The only way I think you'll get that back together is using a small vice to compress the spring with the bar until the pin holes are aligned then tap the pin back in. A third hand may be needed to do that to gently put pressure on the trigger while the vice is screwed closed.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

3rd hands are what wives are for.. I regularly holer at mine to come into the vault and assist me with a PITA.. I just refinished a CZ82 this weekend.. MAJOR PITA. over complicated piece a crap.. If they werent so dang awesome id disown the CZ82/83
  6. CC45

CC45 New Member

The problem is, I lost the Bar Pin! I must have dropped it when I was replacing the trigger. Where do I get a replacement bar pin. it's so small i can't find it.
  7. WHSmithIV

Are you sure that the pin that looks like it's still on the bar isn't the pin that fit's those holes in the bottom of the trigger? You probably wouldn't have had to remove the pin to remove the plastic trigger since the sides of it may have been able to simply bend out over the pin.
  8. CC45

CC45 New Member

I'm sure I lost it. There is no pin now.
  9. WHSmithIV

Right - the pin in the picture is/was the trigger bar pivot pin. The trigger pin at the top attaches the trigger to the frame.

You can contact these guys, they may have what you need - simply send them a mail with the picture you posted here and circle the pin in the picture.

http://www.gunpartsales.com/Home.htm
  10. CC45

CC45 New Member

Thank you for your help. I will call them tomorrow. I'm still on the carpet looking for it!
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

magnet works. Just run it around the floor where you were working.

My grandmother used to work hospice before she retired. Back when i first started gunsmithing she gave me 2 big ol pacemaker tuning magnets. bout the size of a small donut and boy are they powerful. I lost the drop safety lever spring out of my CZ75 one afternoon. id a never found it without that magnet. Dang things the size of a nosehair..
  12. CC45

CC45 New Member

Great idea, Thanks
  13. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Use a vice to hold the trigger with the trigger bar slot facing upwards. put in the spring then push the bar up behind it and align the holes. the pin starts hard in those C&S triggers so oversizing one side of it will help.
  14. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Active Member

That trigger looks identical to my Sig P238 that I had replaced with a stainless trigger. That little pin you speak of is VERY tiny and almost impossible to find when dropped, trust me I know. :mad:
  15. CC45

CC45 New Member

Yes, The triggers are the exact same for the Sig P238 & this Colt Mustang. The man who I bought the new aluminum trigger from is sending me a pin. He said the same thing. Once dropped it's gone!
    If anyone wants to buy a aluminum trigger to replace the crappy plastic trigger they can be found on GB. Just search "Colt Mustang trigger".
  16. firefighter1635

I've never seen one made of aluminum. Mine is made of stainless steel, can't recall the name of the guy that made it but if your interested in a stainless one I could dig up my reciepts.
  17. jrprich

jrprich New Member

His handle is "partsproduction" partsproduction@oregoncoast.com
  18. firefighter1635

19. CC45

CC45 New Member

delete
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012