Muzzle Break

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Hey there guys and gals,

I have a Savage 111FCXP3 in 30-06... Love to shoot it, but as we all know after a while, you start to get jumpy with anticipation on the recoil... Is it worth my while to have a muzzle break put on my Savage? I don't want to change calibers... I'd consider upgrading the Savage (barrel)... or even upgrading from a Savage (to something that can be a "Volume" shooter for the 300-500 yard range) with out beating me up. But Im keeping the -06 cartridge! My goal it to have a rifle that can take upwards of 100 shots during my visits to the range, Im glad I don't pay them by the hour.... about 4-5 hours a visit.
    Thanks.
    Shawn
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A muzzle brake or magna-porting will cut recoil but increase the felt blast and noise. Other possibilities are a good recoil pad or buying a heavier rifle. Of course, lighter loads or lighter bullets will also reduce recoil but I assume you want to keep what you are using in those areas. Of the alternatives, the recoil pad would be the least costly and the easiest to put on or change later.

Jim
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I've got the Savage 116 in .30-06 with the Shock Suppressor and what a differance.
    About like shooting a .243 caliber. If I had an 'ought6 without one, I'd go as Jim said..a good recoil pad!
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I agree with jim. breaks work but there is a trade off. another option that works well in the shotgun wworld but works with long guns too is installing a dead mule recoil reducer. its a counterweight system that fits in the stock.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

No real magic here. A heavy rifle works.

I have a savage varmitter in 308 with 26" of bbl and heavy. A joy to shoot all day long.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heres my recommendation.. Dont ditch the savage, it is a 'volume shooter' at extended ranges, with the factory barrel.. PM HelixFR and arrange to have the rifle sent to him to be threaded for a muzzle BRAKE. He has done a couple for me and I cant say enough about the guys work, its simply top notch. Your best bet is a VIAS type brake as they work the best at reducing recoil IMO.

Part 2 of my recommendation is for you to order the dead mule while the rifle is away getting muzzle surgery so that way itll be in and ready to be fit to the buttstock when your rifle returns.

Part 3 of my recommendation is enjoy your oughtsix with .223 level recoil.. ;)
  7. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

I like the Idea of the Dead Mule recoil reducer... will that work in a synthetic stock? I have never pulled the butt plate off to see if there is any kind of place to mount it.. looks like the butt plate is coming off. And it looks like Ill PM Mr. HelixFR.
    thanks for the heads up guys.
  8. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

O.K... dumb question. After looking at the recoil reducers that you can put in the stocks... I see a-lot of them will fit in the stock bolt hole ( which are usually at a slight angle to the barrel ) if my synthetic stock doesn't have that hole yet... would it be more effective to bore it in line with the barrel? Linear motion vs. angular motion... kinda makes sense right?
  9. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

NOT what I was expecting to see in the butt of the stock. Well can I still epoxy a recoil reducer in there, right?
    And the butt pad?? is a thin rubber mould over slab of plastic... you can see it to the left of the stock. No wonder I cant get past 2 boxes of 06 when I go to the range... I have a barrel sticking out of my shoulder!

Attached Files:

10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Hollow stocks are no problem. The stock will be filled with blocks and rosin. The extra weight in the stock will help too .
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep. you basically just set the recoil reducer into a pool of glass resin or epoxy. Kinda like putting a cedar post in the ground and pouring concrete around it to hold it up. A good chice of inexpensive medium for such a task would be Bondo.