Muzzle-Loader Question

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by iscariotradio, Oct 2, 2009.

1. iscariotradio

iscariotradio New Member

My grandfather recently passed away and left me what may possibly be an antique muzzle-loader. I know absolutely nothing about firearms, so I haven't been able to identify the make or verify the authenticity.

It's quite long... possibly 3 1/2 to 4 feet. On the end of the butt of the rifle, there is a gold/brass colored plate with a logo of a bird in a triangle. The barrel bands are also brass/gold colored with a design. I also believe it is a 44mm caliber. But as I said, I know absolutely nothing about guns.

What makes me question the authenticity is that it was made in Brazil, although it does have 'Washington, DC' stamped on it. However, it appears to be very aged.

I'd just like to know if it is authentic and what kind of rifle it is.

If you need any more information at all, feel free to ask.
    Pictures will be difficult, but if necessary I can try to make some available.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Post some pictures to be sure, but with the "Made in Brazil" and a DC stamp it would seem to indicate that it is a copy and not an antique.
  3. iscariotradio

iscariotradio New Member

I will have pictures up at some point today.
    I don't know when it was acquired by my grandfather, but I know it was pre-1960's.
    If it is indeed a copy, I'm assuming it's worth nothing?
  4. 45nut

45nut Active Member

It all depends on the maker and the quality. Do you not want to keep it as a reminder of your Grandfather?

Muzzle loaders are fun to shoot, but there is a pretty good secondary market for them. Look on Guns America for guns like yours for an idea on value.
  5. iscariotradio

iscariotradio New Member

He left me plenty of things that have much more sentimental value. I'm pretty poor and could use all the help I can get... even if it means selling this.

I'll be sure to get those pictures.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I believe you have the caliber wrong. 44 caliber is a little under a half an inch. 44/100 of an inch. 44mm on the other hand, is right at 1 3/4 inches.

I can't find a logo of a bird inside a triangle, but between the "made in Brasil" and the "imported into DC", I'm guessing imported by Garcia, made by Rossi.