Muzzleloader Accuracy

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Terry_P, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I use a muzzleloader to hunt in the special season in NH. My first BP rifle was a Thompson Renegade sidelock and with 100 gr measured of 2F- BP and a mounted scope it had excellent accuracy. Then the in-lines came out and I had to have one. I purchased a Knight disk and have tried for many years to get decent accuracy with different charges of pyrodex, triple 7 and even shockey gold (150 gr, 130 gr, 100) and the best I have been able to obtain is 3" at 100 yards with 2 pyrodex or triple seven pellets (100 gr) and a 300 gr saboted 45 cal bullet. I talked with a hornaday rep at a local stores big Sept sale and he said it sounded like the 209's primer was too hot and I should step down to a specific 209 designed for muzzleloaders. He said the primer was likely starting the sabot down the bore before the pellets ignited and there the pressure was inconsistent? Anyone else experience this or am I just lucky? Anyone any other ideas?
  2. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

If you can get your hands on a chronograph, check out the velocity spread. >MW