The Firearms Forum banner

Muzzleloading remington rollingblock by Cabelas

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  gunner69 
#1 ·
I bought a Remington rollingblock muzzleloading rifle from Cabelas years ago in the bargain cave,Never came with instructions and Ive always shot it with 90 grains 2f and .50 cal ballets.Wont shoot round ball worth a darn,I recently bought a .50 cal REAl lee mould to try but seem pretty loose going down the bore.Wondering if anyone has a similer rifle and what loads work for them.Also may try paper patching the bullet,but the weather here turns cold whenever I get a chance to shoot. thanks Doug

#6 ·
I had a shotgun scope mounted on mine,I will have to go look but I think they were weaver mounts.I removed the scope because of take down reasons and don't think its going to go back on.It was nice for deer hunting but I haven't done that for several years now.What load do you use?

#7 ·
As mentioned in an above post, with a fast rate of twist, round balls wont shoot well, particularly with that heavy charge. Lighter charges may well improve accuracy, though may not provide the velocity needed for hunting loads.
My own experience bears this out with a hawkin replica with a 1:48 twist.
it shoots saboted .45 slugs fairly well with 75 to 80 grain FFg loads but with round balls i get the best accuracy with around 50 grains. I also get much better accurace with patched .495 diameter balls vs .490, even using heavier patch material, or double patching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.