The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My 2011 firearm deer season

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Zane71464 
#1 ·
Day one firearm season I didn't see a thing. To warm and windy. Day 2 was cooler and the deer were more active. My sister and niece
both shot deer that morning both doe. My nephew shot a doe that night just before dark. I saw 2 fawns.
Day 3 still windy. I saw nothing. My sister got another one a button buck. My nephew missed 2 doe.
Day 4 cold start no wind finally. And everyone went home I got the place to myself. I opted to
sleep until 7 this morning. Big mistake. I was getting all setup in my blind I look up 50 yards a
way a deer standing there. No chance to shoot. Didn't notice if it were buck or doe. Saw nothing
else today. Back to getting up at 5:30 tomorrow.
Day 5 Well got up at 5:30, in my blind at first light 6:30. The deer were crossing the road from the neighbors field when I got there so
I was expecting the deer to come from behind or my right. I looked down at my watch it was now 8:00. I look up as
this 6 pointer steps out of the woods from my left, he was about 70 yards a way. I hit the buck
call to stop him. I put my crosshairs on his heart and fired. I must have pulled a bit the
bullet hit the spine. He dropped instantly. Never filled my tag that early in the morning
before.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Google Earth view of where I hunt.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It's been a while since I've been here, I'm gonna try to check in daily. No all done hunting for this year. Only 1 deer tag in my part of Minnesota.

#5 ·
Thanks. Yep 1 deer buck or doe. The population seems to be climbing so if the Timber Wolves stay away maybe next year we'll have management permits. Which will bring the limit to 2.

#8 ·
he'll be good eaten, I haven't got my buck yet, got a doe last wednesday. In indiana we can only get one buck but can get any where from 1 to 5 doe per county. it ads up to 200+ deer you can kill if you want to travel, I usually only try to get 2 or 3 anyway.

#9 ·
Here in North Central Pa 20 years ago, from my camp near the Quehanna wilderness,we could drive about 10 miles and count 100 deer at night. Then they legalized doe shooting along with buck season. Last week I drove from the N.Y. line to my home 136 miles at night. Didn't see a deer or a reflected eye the whole trip. License sales are down from a Million, and approaching 500,000. They say there's lots of deer. Sure are, all around Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Surveys show less that 5 deer per square mile, but they're working to get 9 per square mile. We have 1 1/4 million acres bought with hunting license sales that are supposed to be managed for hunting. However they're worried about the pole sized trees that provide nothing except branches for the tweety birds. Our land is being managed to suit the Audubon society!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.