1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

My 45 auto reloads are not chambering correctly! GRrrrrr

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bluesea112, Oct 3, 2012.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

What am I doing wrong?

I am using a 200gr. Lee bullet die, making .452 rounded flat nose bullets for my .45 auto. I am running them all through a Lee bullet sizer and then seating them in the brass.
    The problem is that they are hanging up and not fully chambering. The place that the bullets are hanging up is about 1/32" from the mouth of the brass. I can see a perfect line around the bullet where it is getting hung just before being fully chambered. I am already at the minimum oal, so I am concerned that pushing them in another 1/32" could cause a pressure spike.

What do y'all think?
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. garydude

garydude Member

How about a pic? Would certainly help us out.
  3. mikld

mikld Active Member

If you can see where the bullet is hiting the rifling, it's too long. Are you using the Lee mold xxx 1R? If so, the radius of the bullet is too "short". The wide radius bullet needs to be seated deep because the "fatter" ogive bullet hits the rifling. The xxx 2R with a gentler ogive, works better. You can try sizing your bullet a bit smaller, mebbe 451".
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Charles that bullet mold is intended for the .45 colt so the bullets have a very short blunt ogive. you are going to have to seat them deeper. Minimum OAL for the .45ACP is 1.190, but I have seen them run as short as 1.170. Its not unsafe to go shorter so long as you work up your load properly.
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I size to .451 for .45 ACP although that's not your current issue. (.452 is OK for most guns too though, the true test is slugging the bore)

OAL as listed is a guideline moreso than a necessity; if you're hitting rifling, it needs to go deeper in the case.

Also, did you check case lengths prior to loading at all? this cartridge headspaces off of the mouth.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah but .45ACP doesnt grow any when you shoot it. In most cases it actually shrinks a little.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

true that. I'm surprised some of the ones I have are still the same length after oodles of firings. I need to do some spot checks on mine to see where they're at, haven't done that in a while except on my recent .40 reloads.

I've had good luck with Lee's truncated cone 230gn mold, nary a failure to feed. 200gn don't seem to feed well in my TRP either jacketed or lead.
  9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try seating them a little deeper.
  10. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

My .45 feeds the truncated cone very well, but I just don't like how slow that big 230gr bullet travels. I was hoping to use a 200gr bullet and gain a few hundred fps.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have found that every time that I load a .45 ACP that won't chamber, it ends up with the bullet needing to be seated a tiny bit deeper. That has always solved the problem.
  12. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Minimum OAL according to who/what?

OAL is always bullet and gun specific, not manual specific. First and foremost your ammo must Feed-Fit-Fire. If it does not then there is no need to worry about pressure.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=256
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Charles, are these rounds for targets only? The reason I ask is because I believe that with pistols, penetration is everything and for reliable penetration you need high sectional density. The light 45 rounds combine relatively low mass with high cross sectional area creating some of the LOWEST sectional densities. Predictably, penetration suffers.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  14. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

If you are using a roll crimp that could be your problem. A taper crimp would solve it entirely. If it is not happening with every round and you don't trim your brass I would say this is a likely cause of fail-to-feed.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

velocity aint everything charlesman