my Bowie knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by pops42, Feb 27, 2010.

1. stede

stede Member

Your call, Pops- turning the pommel back, that is. I'm 99% sure the eagle-head is screwed onto a threaded tang, and that unscrewing it as you would a bolt will bring it safely back into proper alignment with the blade. But that's easy for me to say, it's not my kniife ;).
    And as Bill sez, the knife definitely appears to be post-WWII, though I've seen 'BOWIE' and 'BOWIE KNIFE' and such etchings on both German and English blades with known provenance dating before WWI.
    I find the Ideal Shirt Company mark very interesting. Did they import knives for commercial re-sale, or is this one of a batch commissioned from Wingen as awards or rewards to employees of the company? Some research is in order, methinks...
  2. stede

stede Member

Hmmmm, a quick search shows a number of German-made blades marked Ideal Shirt Co, perhaps they were an importer...
    And Bill DeShivs, that DeShivs Custom that fronts your website is without a doubt the prettiest knife I've ever seen. It's just plain a beautiful example of the art, while retaining the essentials of a working knife. Form and function... I am in awe of your skill as a cutler.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Why, thanky!
  4. Big T

Big T New Member

I have the same exact knife that was left to me from my grandmother and when I saw these pics of pops knife i could not beleive it I will try to get some pics of mine on here. The eagle head can be turned it is threaded because I just checked mine and took it completely apart.