The Firearms Forum banner

My brand new Savage 10/110 .308 caliber rifle

7K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  woolleyworm 
#1 · (Edited)
Its very accurate and Im having alot of fun with the new gun. I set the scope yesterday using Remington core lokt 150 grain ammo. Also I bought another box, the ammo is real accurate. Would anybody know of any other ammo I should try out? Also I added a limbsaver to it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I went with the Remington in .308. So far the only ammo I've tried is the Federal 150gr SP, and I'm getting sub MOA with this load.

Attachments

#5 ·
Check out Wal-Mart on line. First on is an Allen Ft. Collins folding rest, $27.97. The second one is a Winchester set of sand bags, $21.97. They have some others also. Academy sells the lead sleds and such.

Attachments

#10 ·
Both guns are but which one were you talking about? I paid about $616 for the new .308 . It was cheaper than my Savage lightweight Varminter .223 caliber rifle. I own two of those. Theres nothing lightweight about those 2 guns.
To be honest GR, I wanted the wood funiture, it just looks better, IMHO. Couldn't afford it though.

#13 ·
168 is actually optimal in 11.25 twist but it shoots great in a 10 at .308 velocity. I have a model 11 that i rebarreled with a criterion varmint contour .308 barrel. 10 twist and radiused 4 groove rifling. with 175 SMKs is 1/4 MOA

#14 ·
To be honest GR, I wanted the wood funiture, it just looks better, IMHO. Couldn't afford it though.
you don't hve to go new. I picked up a 110 in .270 with nice wood and a swift 3-9x40 for $250. I'm getting moa with 130g handloads (thanks highboy) and once I figure out it's pet recipe I expect sub-moa from plain bench rests

#16 ·
no. the 10 twist will stabilize just about any .30 cal bullet at .308 velocity. 150 will shoot good, but 168 and 175 will have better LR performance.

#18 · (Edited)
What model remington is that???
It's a model 700. Bought at Bass Pro Shop. I don't know why but it appears to be a combination two of Remingtons rifles. The Varmint SF, and the SPS Varmint. Saw it at BPS, and then tried to buy it on line. After going thru two local, maw & pa, dealears who could not find it, I deciced to buy the gun from BPS. It was probably something that Remington put togeather for them. http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/bolt-action-model-700.aspx

Attachments

#19 ·
Yep. much like the Rem discontiued the ADL, but still rusn them exclusively for Walmart and Academy sports.

Myles, I think I see a floorplate on yours so BPS is selling BDLs

#20 ·
Yep. much like the Rem discontiued the ADL, but still rusn them exclusively for Walmart and Academy sports.

Myles, I think I see a floorplate on yours so BPS is selling BDLs
Yep! Hinged floor plate.

#21 ·
The remage hybrid I built was on the action I stole off an Academy ADL special at 329 bucks. course I did the BDL conversion...

#22 ·
We might be headed your way soon, will give you a call. Might want to come out to your range, and shoot a few.

#26 ·
We might be headed your way soon, will give you a call. Might want to come out to your range, and shoot a few.
Id be disappointed if you didnt Myles. Cal me anytime. IF it happens on a weekend we can make a day of it and have a little BBQ cookout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.