my bro. fell into a good deal

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 5, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

so I'm heading to work early at 6am this am as we are cleaning out the office a bit.. my bro calls me and tells me to stop by and see him on the way to work.

my bro is a professional yard sale deal finder.

so he hits a yardsale on his way home last night and gets (2) 5g buckets of assorted 28, 410, 12 and 20 and an odd 16 ga or two . all plastic hulls.. no oldold paper hulls. most all I see is high brass stuff from major brands.. mix of shot and buck, slug or two. brass is all shiney, not corroded.

then he shows me a dusty box. has some sort of smal mec loader disassembled in it.

then he shows me another dusty box. has about 950 shotgun primers in it, a 4g sized bag of replacement plastic wads, and 1'x2' rectangular box full of spent shotgun hulls.. also mostly high brass and assorted headstamps.

he 'robbed' the yardsale guy by giving like 10$ for all of it. called me over to gloat and brag. :) told me not to buy any birdshot this year as he had plenty lend me if needed. oh yeah.. I am pretty sure I saw at least 1 full, and perhaps a partial or two, bag of lead 'shot' in there.

the luck some people have???
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've a mate here the same way we'll both go to the same sale and he'll find stuff i missed
  3. soundguy

i mean.. i luck up and find a few good things. l especially like finding tools, and have a nack for finding socket sets missing a single piece and getting it for a dollar.. or sometimes.. even a quarter. i just take em home and toss into a 5g bucket, then once every couple months sort them out and try to make up matching sets.. I usually get some dollar store zipper canvas bags and toss the completed socket sets into them with a couple screwdrivers, a peir of pliers and an adjustable wrench and call it an emergency tool kit and stash them on my tractors or in my truck.. or give them to friends for their vehicles as small gifts.

but my bro... he will come home with big dollar items that he paind next to nothing for.. for sure he's a deal finder...
  4. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

LOL yes! I have one of them Bro's as well! But he is the best friends that i have! Treats me just like a brother he never had.
  5. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator New Member

Redmond Oregon ( middle of state refered to as Cen
    Always looking for those kind of deals myself. No guilt here if you ask them first what they would take for their goods and they throw a super low figure your way. Found a brand new Thumlers tumbler at a Goodwill that still had the new bag of media inside for $9.00. I did the happy dance all the way to the checkout counter. My start in reloading began with a large box of goods consisting of a Herters #3 press, powder neasure, scale, 2 dozen shell holders, a second Lyman 55 powder measure, case trim tools, case lube and primer flipper trays, 6 boxes of new Win 32-20 brass, appx 500 commercial cast boolits, a 4 pack of new original magazines for a 10/22 Ruger, 4 boxes of Norma 7.7 Jap brass, Lyman and marble rifle sights, tons of gun cleaning patches, solvents, rods and jags plus a host of odds and ends, all for $50.

10 Spot
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    When at a persons home that is having a garage/yard sale I always ask about guns, ammo, reloading stuff, and anything that is used for hunting. You would be surprised at what might be brought out! A friend taught me this one years ago. I watched him ask, and the lady went into the house and came out with two guns on the first trip. Four guns total, with some ammo. Her husband had passed away, and she had no clue what they were worth. My friend could have got the guns for almost nothing, but told the lady what they were worth, he still got a real good deal!
  7. soundguy

excelent deal!

my 'start' with relaoding kinda came in 2 ways. a buddy cleaned out an old house and found most of a mec shotgun press minus the plastic bottles.. gave it to me. i set it in the garage and left it there months. then later on ai got a rifle in an odd caliber.. 218bee and it came with a set of C&H dies and 2 50rnd boxes of rem cleanbore unprimed virgin brass. that prompted me to start looking around. found a new/ open box lee C press at a pawn shop for 20$.. and from there I just started collecting pieces from gun shows till i decided to jump full in and got an rcbs rock chucker press as well. glad i did.. it's such a fun hobby!
  8. soundguy

you are correct. honest and asking pays off.

I go to gun shows, but don't frequent knife shows much. I do go to one show that is a combo gun / knife show. I went on the afternoon of the last day of the show as I worked late... figured I'd just skim in.. see if there was anyone not wanting to pack up something vs selling it.

almost no gun dealers left.. all went home.. most of the knife guys packing up.. while walking thru one of the knife guys asked if he could sell me anything.. I jokingly said if he had any guns he might sell them to me.. he reached unde rthe table and pulled out a beach towel with a jap bolt action rifle. i dont recall if it was a type 99 or 38.. but was in overall good condition more or less. I asked what he wanted for it and he laid it down and said he really had no idea what it was worth, but he traded for it from another seller who wanted some knives. he didn't even know what it was who made it etc. I gave him the abridged version f it's history.. etc.. etc.. showed him a few things on it. I have a pretty full collection of arisaka from start to finish.. good and bad pieces.. pistols and revolvers..e tc. I really didn't need another arisaka.. especially now that they have moved back up the last few years from being 50$ tomato stakes to a couple to few hundred dollar guns depending.

i pointed out it had some original stuff like dust cover ( thinking it was a type 38 as i remmber it ).. had an intact mum.. metal had a nice even patina no real rust.. excelent looking bright bore and good muzzle.. crisp bolt function.. etc. all in all.. good ++ un-refinished metal.. the wood was overall good, though at some point someone had removed the wood and applied a very light and well down coat of urethane. luckilly they did not sand it.. and it was a very very light coat.. well done indeed.. and they didn't slop it on around the metal like some do. I explained that from a collector standpoint that the metal and the dust cover and the mum were great.. that the wood being coated was a bit of a negative, though not being sanded was better than it having been sanded... he asked about value.. i gave him a fairly honest representation of the range he could expect, in comparison to others.. I also compaired it to 2 other arisaka i DID see at the show on opposite tables from the front door. i gave him ideas for fast sale, or hold onto it 3 month sale to get top dollar. and even suggested the auction sites... I had no dog inthe hunt so to speak, so i wasn't bending the price low. I honestly was not even considering making an offer. while talking about the price ranges.. i mentioned that that one of the guys by the front door has had that rigle for sale at the last 3 shows.. because it was priced hig. he might eventually get it.. or get 75-90% of it.. but on a casual walk thru.. it was too much for a take to the show to sell piece. he asked me if i was interested, and again.. in all honesty i told him I had XX arisake, and plenty of examples.. some worse, and some better and really wasn't in the market for another. he thanked me and i walked on to see the last few tables.. as I was leaving he called me over and asked what it was worth to me. again.. not really wanting to offer a number. I mentioned that i'm a colelctor, not a shooter, so I'm looking at it as collector value and the wood, as I mentioned was a negative. demand for me was low as I had a good 6-8 of them of that specific model.. i really tried to weasel out of making an offer and told him to hold on to it as he would get more money for it at the next show that I as a collector was willing to give him. he pressed me for a # and I tossed out a semi- lowball that I was comfortable with spending, yet had some room to go up as I was sure he wouldn't take it.., yet i did throw a # out that wasn't a slap in the face or 'robbery' level. it was just a low interest, reasonable offer. he looked at me blank for about 5 seconds.. asked if i could up it 5$.. i said sure.. why not.. and we made a deal.

I think he was more or less trying to get the trade or retail value of his knives out plus a lil bit of profit, and otherwise NOT have to tote it around for a few shows.

in the end he thanked me.. we were both happy, and now i have yet another arisaka :) probably the 2nd chepest one i bought.. only cheper one was a tomatoo stake. not counting the bring back i got out of a buddies attick that was missing some parts.. butplate, mag floor plate, follower, follower spring and 1 piece of forewood. got the gun for free.. buddy didn't want it.. found al the parts at a gun show and sarco.. some misc screws too.. found a matching wood color forewood at a show.. gun looks great.
  9. mikld

mikld Active Member

I've found some good deals but usually when my pocket has no cash in it!:bleh:
  10. soundguy

same here!