My buddy was shot Friday night

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Crawdaddy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

Been doing some thinking and I'd like to hear some of your views.

A Friend and coworker was shot Friday night (accidentally) by one of his best friends. The friend was showing off his newly bought shotgun and BAM right in the gut. My buddy is gonna be OK and is resting in the hospital as I type while they watch for any infection. I haven't talked to him personally because I would rather let him rest than feel like he has to explain to me what happened (I'm sure he's getting enough of that) but I did speak to another coworker this morning who had talked to him last night. I can only guess that it must have been bird shot since he's saying no major organs were damaged.

So to my point and what I'd like everyone's feedback on.

It may be emotion talking from my friend's unfortunate incident but I'm wondering why we have so many special interest groups rallying behind the cause of taking our freedoms and liberties, and specific to this case, our guns, but I have never heard one of these entities argue for better education and safety class availability when it comes to firearms. It would almost make one think that incidents like the one I described above actually help their cause of scaring the hell out of the public and makes the general non-firearm owner deathly afraid of an inanimate object, especially when the story always includes the standard response from the shooter, "it just went off", making the casual observer who knows no better believe that guns are unpredictable and inherently dangerous even in expert hands.

So what I would like to know is would any of you think it a good idea and politically expedient for the NRA or other pro-rights group to take the lead in getting legislation brought up to require a gun safety class before someone is allowed to purchase their first firearm. I don't think this infringes on our rights and would, I believe, place gun owners in a better light, showing that as a group we are responsible citizens.

As I said, I may sound like a Lib here, don't know. Emotion overload does folks that way and I may feel differently tomorrow.

Paul
  2. Juker

Juker New Member

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

There is more than enough legislation, child safety warnings, OSHA regulations, etc. etc. to go around. As a society we're choking on it. A lot of gun owners take it upon themselves to get professional training. Some learn in the military. But by and large, I think it's handed down, or learned along the way. The percentage of accidental shootings versus the number of firearms is minute.

The government is obsessed with telling people what they can and can't do for their own good, because "they" know best. I'm for liberty and freedom. I'm truly sorry your friend got shot, and delighted he'll recover - but I don't want anyone telling me I have to go through more B.S. to buy a gun, or a chainsaw, or a car, or a steak knife. I'll bet more people are injured with yard tools each year than guns.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

No. Definitely not. What part of "the right of the people" are you having problems with? If you have to take a class before you can exercise a "right", it is no longer a right, but is "government permission".

Now, should people get training before they mess with guns? Sure they should. Just like they should get training before going swimming, driving a car, chopping down a tree or climbing a mountain. People that do not get any sort of training before attempting something that has the potential of killing them or others are foolish.

But, should there be a law requiring training? Not just no but HELL NO!!
  4. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I don't think that a hunter safety course would be a bad idea
  5. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

I agree with Juker and Alpo on this one. We have enough legislation as it is.

6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

UHHHH,NOT NO, BUT HECK NO. NO FLIPPIN WAY.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

Respectful disagreement noted, Juker, and I reply with same. I think my post is more involving recruiting to our side of the cause, which I think we can all agree would be a good thing. My belief is that the less the citizenry fears firearms, the more potential firearms owners, but we don't need a hippie who's never held a gun deciding that all of the sudden its cool and ends up shooting his own friend because he doesn't know that when he can see red by the safety it means it's off, which is what happened in this case.

And BTW, sans blue shoulder, I definitely fit in the "more people are injured with yard tools each year than guns" category.:)
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

And Jon that's part of my point, in the are I live in , hunter education was part of the high school sophomore curriculum. Thanks to the Lib agenda, that is no more. Granted, in a rural area like this, most of us, even the girls had handled guns before we ever took this class, but I believe that to be the case less and less as the years go by.
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

I'd also like to say that I don't disagree with any of you who think its a terrible idea and I thank you for not basting me over hot coals for it so far. Really I've just been thinking alot lately about the poor SOB who one day might have to break down my front door because some A-hole told him to. I know it won't end well for him and its unlikely it'll end any better for me, but my main concern is my kids, I know what I'll do if faced with the scenario, but that won't stop me from trying to find ways to avoid it. Don't mean to offend anyone.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm with Juker! I have had enough of the Government, at any level, telling me what I can, and can not do!
  11. Juker

Juker New Member

On the upside, that particular SOB may not have undergone any required firearms training. :D
  12. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

+1 Juker, lookin at the bright side are ya?
  13. Juker

Juker New Member

I do try. Gettin' harder and harder these days. "Come, Lord Jesus." :)
  14. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

First, I also am sorry to hear about your friend and hope he makes a speedy recovery. Glad it wasn't worse.

I don't think government-imposed education will do much to prevent plain old stupidity. Please understand, I'm not saying your friends were stupid. Accidents happen. But there are a lot of people out there who can just about walk and chew gum at the same time who don't believe "it" (whatever bad thing "it" is) will happen to them.

Despite (or because of?) government-imposed sexual education classes STD's and pregnancies have gone up. Drug education has the same results.

Joining a good gun club that practices safety is one way around that.

Just my 2 cents' worth.
  15. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

Amen brother, i do think its gotta be tuff for the Illini these days, keep up the good fight man.:)