My buddy was shot Friday night

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Crawdaddy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I'll support mandatory gun training right after they implement mandatory parenting classes and the issuance of a permit to have kids. Till then, I agree with the rest that there is way too much reliance on the government to run our lives.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

Point well taken, all in all the issue does boil down to responsibility, which unfortunately is in short supply these days, IMO.
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

My last time to the range I meet plenty of people teaching themselves now a days.

So many are not handing the knowledge down for one reason or another.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i would think anyone in their right mind who did not know anything about guns would go and find out who could show them or if there were classes. In Ct. we have to take an NRA safety course before getting permit and i am very glad i did.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Does the guy who accidently shot his buddy monkey around power lines?

he must know not to put his hand in a live breaker box? Then why would he not know to treat a weapon as tho it were loaded? Why would he point the thing at his friend? That is lack of common sense. Aint no class gona teach you that.
  6. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Yes, it does "infringe."

infringe:
    : to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another​
    encroach
    : to enter by gradual steps or by stealth into the possessions or rights of another​

So no! You'll not infringe upon my rights, because your friend knows stupid people.
  7. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

Some people assume that they can safely handle guns, and that nothing will happen. If I was going to show a gun to someone, first thing I woul;d do is make sure it is clear, and that they can verify it. Too bad for the guy in the hospital. Hope he gets better soon. No amount of laws or regulations will ever drive the idocy out of us. That's why time spent on a range getting to know a gun is time well spent. Talking to others many times will yield some very helpful people, but not always.
  8. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

People have to take driver's education classes, driver's license tests and still thousands more are killed in auto accidents every year than gun owners. Driving a car is a privilege not a right and still thousands are killed and injured in accidents. Gun ownership is a right, not a privilege. The Government already has too many rules and regulations against stupidity. When will they ever learn, you can't fix stupid!
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.
    :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
  10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

No amount of training will help if you don't follow the basic rule of not aiming a gun at some one you don't want to shoot. I have seen and know a lot of people that just should not handle a gun. No training would help them. Guns are not toys, they are tools.

Come to think of it I know some people that should not handle tools.
  11. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

12. al45lc

al45lc New Member

This goes to personal responsibility and nothing more. As a gun owner, one has the right to keep and bear, and the obligation to society at large to do so responsibly.
    Any 'accident' or negligent discharge (the legal term) should fall on the head of the owner or bearer, as per the 'prudent person' rule.
    We are a society of laws and individual rights, and with that are huge and heavy responsibilities to the individual.
    That is as it should be, not some Govt. entity deciding who is 'safe' and who isn't.
    The problem are those who cry for their rights, but fail others in their obligations.
  13. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

UM H**L NO.
  14. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

Excellent, thoughtful response, best so far IMO. Thanks.
  15. Ed~

Ed~ New Member

Spoken like a true Woman!

Now Beth, when was the last time you heard the joke about the Man who stopped the car to ask for directions when the couple was lost?

No, that's not the way the joke went, right?

What's really funny is that the male ego must appear competent and all-knowing at all-times. It is funny, but not all fun and games and when it comes to firearms. In fact, it's just plain sad because that attitude leads to serious accidents.

Where do most boys learn about guns from first? Rambo. Hands on the trigger and shake it all around... do the hokey-pokey, that's what it's all about, -'till you send your friend into the hospital!

The NRA and other Gun Clubs offer terrific (even entertaining) training classes at very reasonable prices. But when was the last time that was "cool" to take a class on firearms saftey? Was it ever cool to take driver's ed? Not really. But there was a necessity to pass tests to get your license to Be Cool in your own ride... rules & regulations.

That's the way edumacation works with us guys. The ends only sometimes justify the means and when it comes to learning about your new firearm, it's hardly ever the end in itself.

Let me ask this to everyone. How many people have read the instruction manual that came with every new firearm you purchased? -At least skimmed it cover to cover? -And how many never even picked it up but thrashed it along with the cheap lock and cardboard box?

Funny, ain't it?
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  16. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ditto.
  17. Ed~

Ed~ New Member

Hey Paul,

I'm glad you posted this question, even though you got flamed so harshly they made you want to push delete and crawl away. Some boys never learned not to kick a guy when he's down.

I understand what many here are writing anyway -at a gut level. Many on this post react like this to any mention of licensing or registering firearms because it immediately strikes a bell in their heads that has "having our freedom's and rights extinguished" engraved on it. I know the feeling myself. Waiting more than 15 min for the background check is enough for me to start sweating and get shifty on my feet when I'm pawing a new gun with money burning a hole... You know that feeling too, I'm sure.

As Beth and other's wrote, it truly is the responsibility of the individual to learn how NOT to shoot himself in the foot with his new toy (nor his friend in the belly). Yet now many times have we heard that about so many other fun things that could end up killing us or some innocent bystander before we finally made rules and laws to regulate them and the issue kinda just went away? We grew past that challenge as a society.

Examples... let's see, uh, CAR? OK, how about Motorcycle? -Yup. Skydiving? Not yet, but they certainly won't let me take a single-engine Cessna up by myself even if I could afford a new one from the factory.

Fact is, all our fun things are technology and technology is always changing and growing. Society has to grow and catch up with each new revolutionary technology. Smartphones are a great example. Do you know that some crazies actually hold a sandwich in one hand and the cell in the other, and steer going down the freeway with their knees? I've seen it! I was on a motorcycle when I seen it. Scared the living sh#t out of me to know I was sharing the road with that assh*le.

Yes, there is legislation going all over about not driving with your cellphone... hands free only. As if they needed another law alongside the first: No Texting while Driving? Jeeze-louise!

Because we can all say it is the responsibility of the drivers not to rear end someone because they "should" be paying attention to driving rather than "tweeting" --until you are the one rear-ended by someone doing just that. If you survive the accident without life-changing injury, will you still be against more "frivolous" laws being passed regulating our lives?

Me, I ride motorcycles. I cannot wait until such traffic laws are passed in every state. Why? Because I suspect I will not survive even the first such accident with a 2,000lbs car driven by a 180lbs idiot. Maybe, just maybe the guy behind the wheel will think twice if what he is considering to do has a fine attached to it... like wearing seat-belts. That, my friends, is how people really learn: by attaching consequences to their actions.

So that is my heartfelt response to your heartfelt question. What happened between your friends was tragic. Everyone lost in that situation but at what point are we willing to ask how we can help prevent that kind of "accident" from happening again and again? It was not only a courageous act to ask that question, it was a rational one.

Changes in the wind with regard to fun things and personal liberties. What Beth described in CT is what everyone one here fears: mandatory education before being licensed to carry (or own). But I don't know what THE answer is. I would not like to see more regulations limiting my freedoms because, hell, I've got my sh*t together (ha ha). But I also know the value of rules & regs that serve to curb someone else's stupidity or thoughtlessness for my own safety. It is a trade-off, like everything in life: a balance.

Cars, motorcycles, smartphones, and guns. To me they are all fun to play with and not one is holier than another. -So shoot me...
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  18. CD Woods

CD Woods New Member

Accidents will happen, and stupid is stupid. Sorry, but these two (2) comments are facts of life. We do not need more regulations or permissions granted from Local, State, or Federal Governments. The more we allow someone else to know what is right for us the more rights and responsibilities we forfeit.
  19. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

It would be a good idea to have hunter safety classes in high school, they did when I was a kid, it was part of physical education, but I'm not sure if there is any such instruction now. The Eddie Eagle program of the NRA is good for younger kids.

At this point, Michigan requires 10 hours of instruction prior to the issue of a concealed weapon permit. NRA instructors do these courses. No one seems to mind these courses of instruction.

I'm not so sure about compulsory education prior to buying a firearm. It might be nice if you got a discount or some other special incentive to take a voluntary gun safety class, people are more likely to pay attention and get something out of the experience.
  20. Ed~

Ed~ New Member

What a great idea 45Auto! That's the kind of discussion I was aiming for... If there were INCENTIVES to pursuing firearms education then it would be "cool" and people would be encouraged to learn rather than dragged like an animal to the water trough.

But as a people we should practice discussing ideas as sport, bat it around and come up with creative solutions to problems, rather than reject certain topics outright as "Wrong Thinking" or "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!"