1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

My carry load (opinions)

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by rmeron, Feb 1, 2006.

1. rmeron

rmeron New Member

A 200 gr lead RN,3 grs bullseye,in a 2" S&W mdl 36.
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Let me guess, a Model 36 is a .38 Special? A 200 gr round nose lead bullet? About the worst you could use. What velocity do you get from 3.0 gr of Bullseye? Sounds quite enemic, but then I don't know the velocity from your snubbie.

One other thing, buy yourself some factory ammo. If in a gun fight you do not want to encounter a squib load. Also, a prosecutor will cut you to ribbons for using home made deadly ammunition.
  3. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

Go out and buy yourself some Gold Dots. Its a good self defense load and if You do have to shoot someone you will have one less leagle problem if you use comercial loads.
    Use the lead roundnose for plinking.
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Get factory ammo. I like Hydrashok, but whatever you chose it will be safer legally.
  5. Absolutely, Ky. I strongly recommend the new Speer Gold Dot load, +P 135 grainers designed specifically for excellent performance from a 2" snubbie barrel. That's what I carry in mine. I also agree fully with your position on the use of handloads for self-defense. Not a good idea, especially the load rmeron suggests. A 200 grain bullet is simply too heavy for use in a snubbie, you might as well throw a rock! ;)
  6. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

i like 185g winchester silver tips in a full size 1911.
    bhk223
  7. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

Hey!!

The other guys are correct, never use a hand load for self defense, the "victims" attorney will have a field day saying that you made the ammo more deadly and caused undo pain and suffering (what a load of...).
    On another note .38 spls are great! As are 1911's or even a S&W 686 etc. the only thing is, can you carry it concelled well, even in the summer with light clothing such as shorts and Tees? Most assults are by thugs who take advantage of "weaker" individuals, not many are heros willing to risk life and limb (why do you think they are losers in the first place). The best fire arm you can have is the one you have with you, (the first rule of any gun fight is "have a gun") not the one out in the car parked a mile away. I carry a Kel-Tec P3, it's a small .380 auto 6+1 and a very safe DAO. It fits very well in my shorts and is so thin (about .75 of an inch) you cant even tell that you have it at all (see photos). Yes, its a mouse gun of sorts, but Black Hills ammo has a 90gr JHP with 1000fps and 200 ft/lbs of energy, plenty to get any ones attention!! Any good factory ammo will due, the key here is "factory". It is surprising accurate at close range, I can get a head shot at about 10' with no problem at all.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2006
  8. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Dude! Resize your pics! Please! [grin]
  9. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

Yep, sorry about that, hope I did this right!!

Attached Files:

10. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Looks good, Scudrunner!

I liked the first pics. They were just HUGE! [grin]

I am SERIOUSLY considering picking up a little Kel-Tec in .380 sometime in the near future as a "carry all the damn time" gun. Summers in Georgia make it real difficult to conceal anything larger. (And that includes GLOCKs, you GLOCKheads!)
  11. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

Hey JohnK3,
    Thanks for the post. The Kel-Tec is very light and seems to take pocket wear very well. I take mine everwhere, fits well in just about any type pocket, coat, pant, sweatshirt etc. I use the Blackhills 90gr JHP ammo in the summer and the 95gr FMJ in the winter for more penetration through winter clothing.
  12. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I can find only two things wrong with this carry load.

1) Poor combination of lead and powder.
    2) It's a handload.
  13. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

I'm not sure of the track record of the gold dot or the golden sabers. I do know that the 158 grn semi wadcutter +P has a long proven record in the 38spl. in both the 2" and the 4". It does have limits. It is not good on "hard" targets such as car bodies or windshields. But on people it as good as anything you can shove in a 38spl.
  14. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I guess the originator of this thread didn't like our answers! No response. ;) :D :D
  15. rmeron

rmeron New Member

I don't sift through everything everyday,and my memory being what it is,sometimes I forget what and where I put questions.
    I do apoligize,but I have read all the above and heeded your advice.I carry 158gr Hornady XTPHP's,I'll shoot the 200gr rounds at the range.
    Thank you for all your opinions.