My carry load (opinions)

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by rmeron, Feb 1, 2006.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You would be better off using 110gr or 125 gr bullets in a 2" snubbie. The 158 gr bullets just don't get the velocity out of a 2" barrel.

Also, please note that I had smiley faces on the remark I made. We were not inferring anything more. :D :D :D

That is what these smilies are there for, to impart a gesture or feeling.

IPT
  2. rmeron

rmeron New Member

I was not offended in any way. :D :D :D :D
    Would Winchester 110 silver tip HP get penetration along with velocity.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  3. navyvet

navyvet New Member

230 gr .45 hydrashok works for me. :rolleyes:
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Using some of those handmade killer bullets will be the lawsuit.
    As far as ammo most of the guys had good ideas on what to use
    or you can always hit em' with rat shot:)
  5. kings

kings New Member

if you like gold dots, you should look at double tap ammo. good stuff.
  6. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Agree. In my Chief's Special I carry 110 grain Personal Defense Hydra Shoks.
  7. Not a bad round, Bear, but I've read some reports which say that the 110 Hyra Shok has a tendency to underpenetrate and fragment rather badly if the hit is not dead on the center of mass. It does seem reasonable though, that if a 115 grain slug generally works very well out of a 9mm with a 3.5 to 4 inch barrel, a slightly lighter bullet would work very well out of the shorter 2 inch barrel of a .38 snubbie.
  8. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

I think any load in any caliber would work better if dead on the center of mass. So PRACTICE, PRACTICE....
  9. True, Bear, but unfortunately that sort of hit may not always be possible in a real world confrontation. I read somewhere that the 110 grain Federal was designed, in part, to be a relatively low-recoiling round specifically for civilian personal defense, and that some effectiveness was sacrificed to achieve that goal, mostly in terms of penetration. I don't know if that is really true or not, but I do know some local police officers who won't use it in their back-up .38 snubbies. These guys prefer either the old "Chicago" load of a 148 grain lead semi-wadcutter hollow point at +P pressures, or one of the newer commercial jacketed hollow point +P loads like the Speer 135 grain Gold Dot. Personally, I like the Speer loading and that is what I carry in my snubbies.
  10. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

From a mod. 36 low recoil is what I was looking for. I think COMPROMISE is the key word. (I would rather carry 125 gr. Nyclads but I haven't find them here).
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2006