My dad, the real 17th Field Artillery's 75th birthday

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by 17thfabn, Apr 8, 2003.

1. 17thfabn

17thfabn Member

Today is my father's 75th birthday. He is the inspiration for my screen name 17thfabn, he served in the Korean war with B (best)Battery 17th Field Artillery Battalion. They had the only heavy artillery in Korea at the time, the great 8" (203mm) howitzer. His unit was assigned to the 8th Army, and would be shifted to where ever the fighting was the heaviest.

My dad was 17 when WW II ended so he was to young for that war. He grew up in Kentucky, working on farms and doing logging work with my grandfather. Latter he moved to Cincinnati and found work in a chemical factroy.

When the Korean War came around, he was among the first to be drafted. He went to Amphibious warafare school where he learned to operate a D.U.C.K. the Army's amphibious truck. So of course upon his arrival in Korea he was assigned to an artillery unit, which he had no training on. He served in Korea from 1951 through 1952. He told me he was supposed to come home earlier, but his unit could not get replacements because they refused to take blacks. Officially the armed forces were integrated in 1948, but many units that first went into Korea were segrated, especialy the negro (black) and Puerto Rican units. My dad made Staff Sergeant, and they offered him another stripe (actualy another rocker) if he would stay in Korea for another six months. My father had no desire to stay in the army, so another stripe didn't mean much to him. He spent 13 months in Korea, and didn't get a scratch. His only "combat" injury was recieved state side. He was in charge of some troops in transit. One of the men didn't get up for a detail one day. After the private said f@#& you sarge when my dad told him to get up, my dad flipped his bed over with him in it. The man punched dad in the head, dad broke his clip board over the man's head. Dad got 6 stiches on his forehead, the private got knocked out, and 6 years in Lebanworth Kansas.

After his discharge, dad came home went back to work in the factory, married my mom and together they raised four kids, and have 6 grand kids (my 5 year old son and 2 year old daughter are the cutest of the batch). Today my dad is still in excellent health, never having spent a day in the hospital. He has lived the American dream.
  2. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DAD 17th!:D
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Happy B'Day to the REAL 17th!!!

Hey 17th, you and me have something in common...my Dad was reassigned to towed 105s at the end of WWII. He was a number 4...

And the other day my wife and I were eating at a Cracker Barrel and the waitress sat us at a table next to a parade picture of a "HDQTRS BATTERY" from Ft. Bragg in 1944, and I got all excited looking for my Dad, he was there at that time, what a coincidence!

Does your Dad end up singing badly "As the Caissons Go Rolling Along" when he has way too much to drink like mine did?

Tell him to enjoy his Birthday, and also tell him thanks for his service to our country.
  4. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

17thfabn -

I know this post will be late to get birthday wishes to your dad on his actual birthday, but blame it on my computer - my original post somehow got zapped between hitting the "enter" button and it showing up on the board. The cyber gremlin must have munched it.

I was in Korea too; but about 7 years later than your dad. I was with the 7th Infantry Division at Camp Casey, which is about 30 miles North of Seoul on MSR1, just outside the town of TongDuChon-ni. I was there from Sep 59 - Oct 60, and then again from Sep 1976 to Sep 1977 with the 2d Infantry Division at Camp Howze.

Did a bit of a search around the web and came up with a couple of "Persuaders" your dad may know:

Arthur S. Horton Jr served with the 17th FA BN 8 inch Howitzers 1952-53 Retired Army SGM arthorton00@hotmail.com

Daniel L. Lazenberry
    Served as quadrantman with the 17th Field Artillery Bn. "B" Battery 1951-1952. dlazenberry@sbcglobal.net

From one Vet to another, tell your dad "Happy Birthday and thanks for his service to our Country"

Regards
  5. 17thfabn

17thfabn Member

Thanks all for my dad's birthday wishes

Thanks all for wishing my dad a happy birthday.