MY DATE TO REMEMBER....

Discussion in 'The VMBB True Story Tellers' started by rooter, Aug 26, 2012.

1. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    Dang, on this day back in 1951 it was listed as my date of entry into the US Navy...that was 61 years ago...it had only been 6 years since WWII had ended and so many of the old "LIFERS" were still around...coming across persons and personalities that were 'wounded' from the war...later after boot camp to serve with Seabees who claimed, "that's the way it was....". Less than a year later to serving the Philippine Islands where evidences of the war were still very prevelent..war action, sunken vessels in Subic Bay that would 'puke' up great globs of bunker C fuel oil, there to find congeled of big black hunks on the white, sandy beaches of Camayan Point...imagining in your mind that if in those sunken ships were graveyards for fellow Americans or the enemy Japanese sailors...one time an equipment operator found a Japanese tank in the grown over bush when a road was being punched thru the jungle building a road...it was a little bitte thing compared to American tanks...about that same time a bamboo viper snake had fallen out of a mahogony tree into the cockpit of the D-8 dozer driver...Lord, those service years were so full and went so quickly...if I am to be blessed with another thousand days here on Earth, I'd change them all for a single 'yesterday' to repeat one of those I experienced while serving..Chief