my dillon is killon me

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by carolinagoldcup, Jan 20, 2010.

1. carolinagoldcup

carolinagoldcup New Member

hope someone else is having as many problems as i am having with my 650xl reloader.i got my reloader about 2 months ago and inspite of the frustration it has been an interesting and learning experience.i still have a lot to learn about reloading and the capability of the equipment i chose to use.the resizing dies are not resizing,my 45 acp schells mike .477 to480 before reloading and when the reloading is complete the is dia. is about the same. i have a lot of jamming and ejection problems,bought a lot of parts and spent about 2500 so far.what am i to expect as for as resizing,the lyman specs list a .476 dia which will drop into my bullet gage.dillon told me the schells expanded when they were shot from an unsupported pistol and to buy new schells and start over. is there a set of dies that will resize or do i throw away the schells that are over .476 dia. and go back to walmart.
  2. medalguy

medalguy Member

As far as resizing the brass, that is a function of the dies not the press. Do you have the right dies for sizing? You should probably use carbide for 45 ACP as they do not require any lube and they are much faster. As long as you can get the brass into the sizing die it should be good to go. I'm not sure what you mean by "fired in an unsupported pistol"???

Again I don't know what you mean by jamming and ejection problems. Are you talking aout shooting the ammo? If it's not made right, and diameter and OAL are not right, it should not be anywhere near your gun. We need a lot more information before we can really offer much help. Do you have a good reloading manual (preferably several) and are you following all steps in setting up the dies correctly?

Finally, have you put the dies into a single stage press and tried them there, and do they size properly in that press?
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What gun are you shooting this .45acp out of unsupported? I am assuming a Glock, but that shouldn't render your brass unusable in most cases unless youre near max loads.

My advice would be to strip the machine down and start at step 0. Go through the complete setup again and double check everything. I'm certain that it's somewhere in your die set up that is the likely cause.

The 650 is a great machine for doing 1000+ rounds at a sitting, but if you're doing less than that, the 550 is a superior machine when it comes to simplicity and operator ease.
  4. madmantrapper

madmantrapper New Member

I also would like to know what is meant by unsupported?
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Many Glock chambers, esp .40SW chambers do not fully surround the case. If you do a search for Glock Smiles on the forum or on Google, you'll see exactly what happens to the brass. There is no inherent danger in an unsupported chamber, it's just how Glock makes'em.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

woolleyworm said:

"There is no inherent danger in an unsupported chamber, it's just how Glock makes'em."

The continual excessive stretching of the brass at the web of the case and the pushing it back with reloading, work hardens the brass of the case in the area ahead of the web. It probably reduces the life of the case. If a reloader gets the charge too hot with one of these weakened cases (or even with a new case) then the case can possibly blowout in the unsupported area. Or maybe too many reloads of the case might blow out the case (??). Seems to me that getting an eye full of hot gases laced with unburned powder and pieces of brass is DANGEROUS. Now, maybe it has never happened to you but there is the possibility, so other manufacturers design guns with fully supported cases ahead of the rim cut.

It is not a good design if any part of the case ahead of the rim cut is unsupported. This is another reason I don't like plastic Glocks. Hey, but that's just me. We all get to choose.

LDBennett