My dinner tonight...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polishshooter, Nov 9, 2007.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Since I've been home on rehab, my wife has made comments on how it would be nice if she came home from work and I had fixed dinner for a change....:cool:

So I decided, today was MY turn, and I got a nice small venison rump roast out of the freezer yesterday to thaw...

I saw my wife roll her eyes this morning, she ate a LOT of venison as a little girl, some of it even in season...:cool: and she is not very hot for it, mostly she just likes breaded and fried "Fry Meat," which we are not supposed to have now...and I just KNEW she was thinking I was going to do it in the crock pot, which I do a lot, because it's easy, which she doesn't care for either...

So today I driver her to work, and then go to rehab, and after asking the nurses for recipes for a roast in the oven, I decide to start going through my wifes cookbooks (which is a chore, she collects them worse than me and my guns:p)

So when I'm going through her well worn copy of our Church Cookbook the youth put together about 10 years ago, lo and behold if I don't find one of the recipes my WIFE submitted, for "Pork Tenderloin and vegetables...":D

Well, instead of the pork, in goes the nice venison rump roast, and while I found the Rosemary, I couldn't find the sage, so I used cumin instead, and also besides the black pepper, while looking for the sage in the cupboard, I found some other interesting spices like white pepper, and mixed black peppercorn and crushed red pepper and put that on it and the russian fingerling potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery I had the roast nestled in...

Then I couldn't find any "Olive oil" in the cupboard to "drizzle" over it like her recipe called for....:cool:

Crap.

So I put the roaster in the 'fridge, so much for having it cooking while I went to get her, and went to pick her up.

On the way home we stop at the store, I tell her I need to buy olive oil, she tries to talk me out of it, says canola that she has works as well, I insist, she says get the mild, I say NO I want the "Extra Virgin..." (I don't really get WHAT that means, but it sounds neat, is the opposite EXTRA pregnant?)

So I get home, and she is now kind of interested, and tickled that my "new" recipe is actually "hers," watches and complains as I "Drizzle" a little too much olive oil on it ("No problem, remember this is "EXTRA virgin...";):p)

And I shove it in the oven at 450 for 20 minutes...check it, stir the veggies, cook it for another 10...put a Whole Wheat baguette in the oven to warm, my wife thought it looked pretty good, so she even got out a bottle of cheap red wine to go with it...;):)

And she LOVED it..a LITTLE spicy, but she even ate it all, and saved none from her plate for the dogs, so I KNOW she liked it...and she said it's a "keeper recipe..."

Maybe just a little over cooked for my taste, but not hers, I like venison and beef a little more red and juicy in the middle, but it was still very tender, I'm thinking 25 minutes next time for that size roast;):D:D

So THERE, I CAN cook, for OTHER people besides me, and "Heart Healthy" TOO....:)
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  2. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Way to go Polish, Overall I say its at least a 9.5. ;) congratulations catfish
  3. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

wow! sounds good!
  4. Gosh, Polish, you went all out! I mean, cooking up half of an entire Indiana while tail for dinner! :D;):p
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Yup it is always satisfing to cook, and have the meal eaten and enjoyed . Just wish I could get my daughters to try new things and expand their menue a good bit, Polish didn't you have daughters? what's the trick to get them to try new things? Best reguards Kirk
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah Kirk, I have one daughter, who for some reason is a PICKY eater, AND is a "clutz" in the kitchen, who has to be careful not to "burn" the water if she tries to boil some!:p

Now she LIKED my venison in the crock pot, and the "Fry Meat," but she actually is pretty adverse to "experimenting."

What's funny is my SON is the budding chef...in fact, I stole the cumin idea FROM him, he uses it on all his steaks on the grill, and it adds a lot...I've always thought it a little strange that my wife shares recipes and cooking tips with my SON, and not my daughter. My son has a SWEET girlfriend, but she only "bakes," my son does all the cooking!

My wife likes to experiment in the kitchen, and my son follows her lead..and he LOVES all kinds of venison like his Dad;)..in fact, whenever he comes home, he raids the freezer when he leaves, and more often or not the venison side takes a hit!:p

The only reason my wife is a little leery of venison is her childhood...her stepfather was a compulsive big time gambler...and when he WON they would live high on the hog, but when he LOST, they would literally lose their house, and have to live on poached deer and split pea soup in a trailer without running water back in the woods, sometimes for MONTHS....and that happened several times when she was growing up...

She will NEVER touch split pea soup again, and I guess I'm lucky she even likes venison as much as she does....
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Now that spicing sounds good! I'd have probably added my "everything" ingredient for venison, elk, or beef roasts too...a little worcestershire sauce and a half can of beer. But I'm sure it turned out great as you did it up! I do my roasts in the slow cooker (crock pot) while I sleep during the day...I work night shift but still eat breakfast food in the AM and supper food in the PM. Always great to wake up smelling a good homemade meal!!!

Mild olive oil is light colored and has a rather generic taste. Extra Virgin is darker and comes from the first pressing of the olives and has the most olive flavor. there are several other grades in between the two and the flavor gets milder (and the oil lighter colored) with each pressing. All of em are "heart-healthy" as far as oils go but I usually go for the extra virgin bottle myself...too much Emeril I spose.
  8. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

So you cooked! Did she clean up? :D

Sounded delicious!
  9. Nothing whatever wrong with that Polish! I like to cook myself and do at least half of it in our family. I've always believed that every guy should be required to take some kind of cooking course in high school, and all the gals should be required to take a basic course in auto mechanics. Those are simply survival skills! ;)