My dumb cleaning question for the day.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/29/02 8:07:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All

My dumb cleaning question for the day.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I haven't had a revolver in like forever (at least not one I go shoot) and am wondering what's the easiest way to clean the cylinders?

I pulled it out of the safe and noticed it could stand a bit of a cleaning - because of dust mostly and wanted to do a thorough job on it.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/29/02 8:51:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: My dumb cleaning question for the day.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just swab em out Tlynn, I usually remove the cylinder and drop it in a can of solvent to soak.

If it is just dust then an oily rag on a cleaning jag will do the trick
    Don't blame yourself or anyone else for your mistakes or the downfalls of the USA. BLAME PRESIDENT BUSH.

IShootBack
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/7/03 7:56:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: My dumb cleaning question for the day.
    A little late, but better late than never.

Since it hasn,t seen action in a while, I'd remove the cylinder and grips, then spray the whole thing down with brake rotor cleaner. Let it sit for a minute or two, then spray it clean with compressed air. I'd then oil it up and cycle it several times just for fun before putting it to bed again.

ISB
    Guns cause crime, like spoons made Rosie fat

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/7/03 11:54:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    e
    Re: My dumb cleaning question for the day.
    Oh dear...the grips I know how to remove (but the cylinder????).

Dang time to go find the book again I can tell.

However, I did get it fairly clean - at least for the moment. Figure on tearing it down again this weekend along with a couple of rifles.

IShootBack
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/8/03 5:34:42 am)
    Sounds like a good weekend
    Guns cause crime, like spoons made Rosie fat

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/8/03 9:24:27 am)
    I just scrub them out with a bore brush & Hoppe's #9 (from back to front), then a few patches (damp & dry) ....just as you would with a barrel. Unless the gun is REALLY dirty, you don't have remove the cylinder from the gun.

Two types of revolvers require a vigorous brushing of the cylinders.......22RF (the outside lubricated bullet leaves a waxy buildup), and .357 revolvers in which you've shot a lot of .38 Special. Since the .38 Spl. is a shorter cartridge, it tends to leave a ridge of crud that makes it difficult to load the longer .357. You've gotta scrub all of that crud out of there.

Have fun.

Edited by: Xracer at: 1/8/03 9:27:18 am

NEtracker
    (1/10/03 2:28:14 pm)
    Right,
    38 Spcl from a .357 Mag really builds up a rim, such that you may not be able to slip in a .357 rnd!
    I clean my 686 cyclinder thoroughly after each range visit, regardless whether I fired 38sp or .357, with a solvent that will work well on lead. CLP is not that great for that. I have used the Remington stuff. Haven't bought Hoppes for a while.
    I also have a Lead removal "tool", but have not needed it yet.
    Like what others have said, for a thorough cleaning, remove that cylinder. Armorers manual helps with stuff like that, if you are not familiar with the steps. Be careful of any reverse threads.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/11/03 9:32:03 am)
    Hi NEtracker......thanks for the input, and welcome to TFF.

PASQUOT
    (1/14/03 10:52:59 am)
    HI NEtracker
    On your last post, you mention a solvent that really works on lead. I'm having a real problem with lead buildup on several of my guns. What kind of solvent do you use for lead buildup?