My first 100 reloads...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jlloyd73, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

These are my first batch of reloads ever. :eek:

45acp 230gr Cast RN w/ 4.4 grains of W231 and CCI large pistol primers.

Attached Files:

2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They look great and a very nice photo. I anxiously am waiting to hear how they shoot.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

They do look pretty good. Have you checked the OAL and have you checked to see if they feed OK in your pistol. That one laying down looks a tad bit long to me. The reason I mention it is, on the ones I cast I have seat them so the "ring" doesn't show for them to function properly. I am away from home so I don't have my reloading logs with me to give any lengths.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

As long as they are less than 1.270" and feed from the mag they will run.
  5. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I wondered the same thing, but they are all less than the 1.270 Josh stated. (I used a live round to set my die up as I was advised by someone)

Just to be safe I checked the live round's OAL first ....and I was using the SAMMI document I attached as a reference.

I bet they are going to shoot great. I guess since they were my first I checked, checked, and checked again on everything. I don't know how I did it but each round weighs almost the exact same amount + or - .01 g....I would think that is a good thing.

I will say that I am impressed with my cheap Lee stuff. My powder dispenser dropped the same charge each time...(I checked once every 10 rounds on my scale)

Attached Files:

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I bet they will shoot good, you are now officially addicted to the reloading bug.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep. Its like crack.. One hit and youre hooked.
  8. h2oman1975

h2oman1975 New Member

ya;ll are correct. i started just going to reload a few 9mm, and now i have around 1500 done and going to reload some more tonight before bed. i also have got 500 .38 special,1500 .223, 400 .32 auto to reload. hahaha best crack i have ever had.....lol:D:D
  9. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

They are beautiful.You are like an artist.Good job!!!!!
    Are the steel ones only good for one shot or are they the same as brass a softer metal?
  10. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Thank you........I learned all I know from these guys.

They are nickled brass. I had a fella that works as a police range instructor give me a bunch of these. They are once fired Speer Gold Dot ammo.

He also gave me the bullets, said he didn't use that type.....they reload their stuff with wad cutters I think.

I figured I would honor the first batch with these. I will keep one and give the other to my brother.
  11. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I load the same type (but RN plated) with a bit more kick to cycle all my .45's properly.

The only suggestion I have if these were your first batch is to start with 10-20-30 at most then bring them out to the range to assure proper function. That way your not stuck pulling bullets if there is any issue. Yes this was a lesson I learned the hard way ;)

(Wish I had a buddy tossing me all the nickel cases... jealous!)
  12. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

+1 on loading a small batch and testing before you find out something isn't quite right. You needed to drop the round in the barrel to make sure it fit (plunk test), did you? My experience with LRN that have a shoulder (as yours appears to have) is that they need to be loaded with just a fingernail width of the shoulder exposed (like you load a LSWC), otherwise they were too long. Anyhow, I hope they function fine and congrats for your entry into reloading!
  13. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I went out and shot up 4 magazines worth of these guys today, they feed and shoot great. I plan on loading a few hundred more tomorrow.

I need to do a range report on my 1911 for the forum. I will try to get that done within the week.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

do it! Im curious to see how the print anyway Jason.
  15. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They look great. Looks like you got the reloading bug too.

It is always fun to hear the bang, see the hole in the paper, and know "I made that".