My first 100 reloads...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jlloyd73, Mar 15, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Shoot 4.4 gr 231 under a 230 is a light target load. You could probably see the bullet if you pay close attention. Im figuring about 725-750 fps from a 5 inch barrel.
  2. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Bite your tongue what do you mean cheap lee stuff.lol I call it good equipment reasonably priced. Id say by the looking at pictures of reloading equipment there are alot of reloaders using Lee products.Your bullets look great Im on my 700th round and I just started at christmas and im idicted.have fun shooting:)
  3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

im loading mine at 4.7 tightgroup and they work great.Hey JlA do you know a dealer that sales the truncated rounds we talked about?
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I thought I would have issues going so light at first, but they shot great. We are just plinking so I didn't think I would need to run them too hot. I just want to make sure they feed and eject good. So far they do good from my 1911 but I haven't seen what they will do out of my brother's Springfield Night 45.

I am very impressed wit the Lee stuff though. I kept checking the powder measurer against the Lee scale and a digital scale...... it drops the same charge every time.
  5. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

Yea I run 4.8 to 5.0grns w231 with that load. Nice to see someone start the right way though. ( light):)
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I can provide you a couple links. ;)

These are all brands I use myself. :thumbsup:

these are my favorite.
    http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=160&category=5&secondary=13&keywords=

I use the 200 gr FP .451 for Rainier. Excellent bullets, and have concaved bases. I get better velocity with these because they seal the bore better.
    http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm

and my last choice is Berrys. I use the 185 and 200 gr FP, but not that often as the rainers are cheaper than the berrys and a better design with the concaved base.
    http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c17-45_Cal_.452.aspx
  7. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I did 300 more rounds yesterday with the same 230 g LRN 45acp pushed by 4.6 grains of powder this time. Not too shabby for my cheap little outfit. I defiantly got the bug.

This is my little setup.

Attached Files:

8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice looking setup. Everything you need right at your fingetips. I use Lee dies and powder thrower for my .223's and have had nothing to complain about. I use the Lee primer for .223 and .357. Only problem I had with that was when I was trying to prime some military brass that hadn't had the crimp removed well enough.

Thanks for the pics.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You figure out a way to get Donna at the press yet? I get Beck to reload for me sometimes. Most only her ammo tho.
  10. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

She has watched me, but so far that's it. My son Cody has really gotten into it.....he has done a bunch of depriming and I let him do the final crimp on a batch.

We live in a tiny house so my little bench is in the bedroom...:eek::D I think Donna is a little jealous....
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

wait until she starts giving you hell for wanting to stay up all nite tinkering with your reloading. I have done it countless times and had beck sneer at me from the bed until she falls asleep. sometimes ill get things tossed at me while im focused on what im doing. I hate it when she does it while im setting up the powder measure. One night she tossed a pillow at me and i had just put the 50th charged case in the loading tray and guess what.. yep, all 50 cases went flying and dumped all my dang 4064 out all over the desk.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

wouldnt trade her for all the guns in the world tho. ;)
  13. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I hear you there Josh.

The other night she was in the bed watching one of those Harry Potter movies and I was sitting there (about 3 feet from her) reloading about 100 rounds....... and watching her movie with her. She goes, "Are you going to spend any time with me today?" Of course I chuckled and was smart enough not to say anything.

Women???????:D:D:D

I wouldn't trade her for anything either.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got that exact line again today. I asked her if it would be ok if I went fishin with Charles (bluesea112) this weekend and she said "so youre gonna ditch me this weekend" "You never spend time with me" All the while we are headed to the creek to fish the sandie spawn together and ended up catching some pretty nice ones. sheesh.. Women...