My first 1911 (Norinco Factory Enhanced)

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Deltastar, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Deltastar

Deltastar New Member

I'm new at this forum and the Norinco 1911 Factory Enhanced model is my very first 1911. I have a Glock 19 and a Sig Sauer P226. I used to have a Bersa .380 Super Thunder, a Glock 21 and a Walther P22. To celebrate 100 years of the Colt Model 1911, I decided to get myself a 1911 (or a reasonable clone). I can't afford the higher end models so I settled for a Norc which cost me $360.

The firearm seems solid and a bit heavier than similar models, although I did not use any scales. It came with two 7 round magazines whose aesthetics leave much to be desired but are functional as later field tests showed. I got myself two more as they are cheap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took it to the range right after I got it from the store. I used standard load FMJ reloads. I fired 100 rounds through it, no jams, misfires, FTFs, FTEs. The trigger was on the very heavy side out of the box, probably greater than 6 pounds although I did use any measuring scales. The accuracy suffered as a result with some hits being 6 inches away from intended POI (low and left). Another shooter fired two rounds through it and hit the target dead center, so it wasn't the gun. I was having problems with the heavy trigger. I tried double taps and the groupings were around 2 " from 4 meters. With my last 4 rounds, I did two consecutive double taps and they were within 2 " of each other. The greater mass of the pistol helped damp some of the recoil.

[​IMG]
    Two consecutive double taps at 4 meters

[​IMG]

Close up of Two consecutive double taps at 4 meters

When I got home, I re-touched the three dot sights with white paint.

[​IMG]

I didn't lighten the trigger yet. When I returned to the range after the 'paint job', I fired another 130 rounds through it with the same results, that is, inconsistent shots. The heavy trigger was really messing with my accuracy. So I did a trigger job on the Norc. I pulled back nos. 1 and 2 of the sear spring and cut 2 coils off the mainspring ( which was probably in excess of 20 pounds. The trigger weight was palpably reduced, probably down to 3 to 4 pounds. When I got back to the range, I was shooting consistently. The sights were zeroed out of the box it turned out and there were no jams, FTFs FTEs or light strikes. It is a sweet shooting gun for $360. I got myself an 18 pound mainspring and I'm thinking of replacing the recoil spring with an aftermarket 14 pound Wolff recoils spring. I'm real happy with the Norc. Next time I go to the range, I'll try to post videos. :)
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome to the Forum !

and great first post ,

the norc's while not pretty lacking finish etc , are pretty good functionally i've found , yes cheap but far from nasty and are on the whole rather reliable

Glad your happy with it and look forward to your range visit and vid's
  3. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

The old Norinco 1911s were sought by people wanting custom 1911s as they were inexpensive but of great quality. Nice Buy!
  4. H-D

H-D Active Member

Welcome to the forum! Great buy! My recomendation is take it to an experienced pistolsmith and have a trigger job done on it. My dad had a norinco when I was a kid it was a great shooter he had no problems with it.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Heard the Norinco 1911s are good guns if built to spec.
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Hogger, the Norinco 1911 IS built to spec. Did you know that the Norinco is one of the few 1911's that Wilson Combat will do custom work on ?

They are an excellent platform for custom work. I have built several and all have been flawless. I just wish we could get them imported into the US again.
  7. Deltastar

Deltastar New Member

Yes, the Norc is a great 1911. It's inexpensive too. I'm not too concerned about the aesthetics, I care more about its performance. It is accurate and fun to shoot.

A question though. What is the weight of the recoil spring that the Norc came with? It is a factory enhanced model with a full length recoil spring guide rod. I was thinking of getting a 14.5 pound or a 16 pound recoil spring.
  8. Deltastar

Deltastar New Member

Thanks. My first impulse was to go to a professional gunsmith but I saw the sticky article on how to make the 1911 more reliable. And I also read some articles on doing a trigger job on the 1911. I did the trigger job myself and I am quite happy with the result.

I might change the sear and hammer, and the firng pin spring later on.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The chinese are fantastic at following diagrams. The norincos are probably truer to JMBs own handbuilt 1911 prototype than any other manufacterer. And excellent quality steels.
  10. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

welcome....nice 1911.
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The Norinco came with a 16 lb recoil spring. If or when you change it, use a Wolf 16 lb variable power spring from www.brownells.com .
    That spring should also work with reduced power LSWC ammo.
  12. Deltastar

Deltastar New Member

Will do. Thanks.
  13. Squeak

Squeak New Member

Nice photo work. Welcome to the forum & enjoy that gun!
  14. Deltastar

Deltastar New Member

Thanks. Went to the range yesterday and tried it out. Had a good time. It is a sweet shooting .45. I'm still trying to master the pistol but it is quite user friendly.

[​IMG]

Verification

[​IMG]
  15. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Welcome and congratz. Nice report. Take your time getting used to it, get it well broken in, and you may find you are happy with it just like it is.
  16. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Congrats on purchasing one of the best quality 1911's out there.

After buying three brand new 1911's that didn't function the way they should of out of the box i found a used norinco which was going to be my very last 1911 if it didn't function also. Well the first time out the used norc showed me what all the hype about the 1911's is all about. The norc is made from 5100 forged steel, frame and slide. Its one of the toughest 1911's to work on and they make the best 1911 platforms for doing builds too.

I installed a new barrel, full length guide rod/18# recoil spring, and a national match barrel bushing and now she shoots 1 clover leaf per mag no matter who shoots it. I have added a ramp where the disconnector bumps the slide too. I need to tighten up the slide to frame rail fit next. Right now my norc is one of the best 1911's I have ever owned.

I look forward to owning more norinco products too since there quality seems to be right up there with the rest of the guns being offered today. There sks's are awesome too. I wish the import and trade with china would open up again. Bill

BTW; The 18# recoil spring cuts down on the recoil and the wasted time on the cycling with the over travel. The added weight up front with the full length guide rod helps too but it also holds the stronger recoil spring from binding and coiling as it cycles. I lube all my guns with moly that helps speed up the cycling too.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  17. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Anolther member with a Norinco 1911. Mine was set up by Jim Clark. It is one of the most accurate pistols I own, and I carry it with me everwhere I go!

Attached Files:

18. medalguy

medalguy Member

These are good pistols and you'll enjoy it. Not trying ti hijack the thread, but I need a factory set of grips for a Norinco to replace some Pachmayr grips that came on one I just acquired. If anyone has a set of original Norinco factory grips they don't need, pm me. I'd like to buy them.
  19. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I still have mine, but they are not for sale, sorry I can't help you out here. Good luck hunting a pair. I hope it doesn't take you long to come with a purchase.
  20. Deltastar

Deltastar New Member

NIce Norc. Congrats. Thanks for the tips on how to fine tune the Norc.