My First 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by JERICHO941, Oct 9, 2007.

1. JERICHO941

JERICHO941 New Member

How ya doing fellow 1911ers? Im the proud owner of my first 1911 pistol. Its a Springfield Armory 1911 G.I. Micro Compact. I have yet to shoot it as Ive been busy all day. I am looking to get a set of night sights for it, the sales man at the shop where I purchased the gun told me that he could get them for it. I have since been looking on the net for them but I have had no luck. If anyone has any info about night sights for this model could you please help me out? Thanks,
    Don
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Welcome to TFF. We always have room for more 1911 fans.

The SA micro will serve you well just remember to change the recoil spring every 2000 rounds to keep down any functional problems.

www.brownells.com is a good source for night sights. They work great for the first shot but are lost after the first muzzle flash. I never use them but to each his own. :)

Keep us posted on your progress with your new 1911 and don't forget a range report.
  3. JERICHO941

JERICHO941 New Member

Well I just got back from the range w/ my G.I. .45. and a couple of my other .40s. I started out with a nice 14 shot 4 inch group @ 5 yards. I shot for about an hour and for my last set I loaded up 14 rounds in each of my pistols, my 14 round .45 group went to about 8 inches. But I have also been doing some landscaping/digging labor for the majority of the past 2 days so Im pretty tired and sore. I love it but the trigger is really heavy, is there a way to lighten it up? And YOUCH!!!! I really need a Beaver Tail Grip Safety. The recoil hammer bite is a B!$*H, Ive got a nice little hard red welt and a lil bit of missing skin as my prize. I have already ordered some Meprolite Night Sites from Brownells, which Ill be taking to a local shop to have installed. I knew that when I first bought the gun that I would want to change to a beaver tail safety and I would also like to change out the hammer to a loop back style from the original flipper style. Would anyone have any recommendations, and is this a DIY job or would it be best to take to a gunsmith? Thanks,
    Don
  4. HeadHunterII

HeadHunterII New Member

It would probably be best to send it to a smith to get the grip safety done. Most of them require fitting. Unless you have the tools, the patience and the cojone's to attempt the job lol.
  5. JERICHO941

JERICHO941 New Member

Well I got her back from the smiths today, have yet to shoot her though. I had a Trigger job done, I dont know what the pull is @, but I can say that its far far from the seizure-like shaker it was. Also, I had Meprolite Night Sights & Wilson Combat Hammer/Beavertail Combo Installed. Ill get back with some range results in a few days.

Attached Files:

6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

those are good sights but i prefer the heinie staight 8's, they seem to line up naturally and target aquisition is very quick.