my first 44 mag reloads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mtnman05, Jan 2, 2011.

1. mtnman05

mtnman05 New Member

Finally got to load my first batch of pistol/44 mag ammo and fire them. I am hooked on reloading! The thing that I liked the best was these things are more accurate than any factory ammo I have ever shot. Shot two 3 shot groups at about 21 feet at the range and both groups had all 3 holes touching. I was good to get a 2 inch group with factory in my 629-6.
    Went with what my manual states as a starting load of 21 gr of 2400 behind a 180gr Sierra JHP. Nice mild load with a nice flame which I love.
    I am going to experiment with H110 soon and see how much of a flame it throws. Nothing like a big bore fire breathing handgun.

Everything seems good to go except I am still a little confused on how much crimp to use. I have tried comparing to a factory load and my vison isn't good enough to tell and my manual doesn't tell any specifics.

So what I did was took an empty case and resized it. Then measured the inside of the case mouth. Put in my crimp die and ran the case in it like I was seating and crimping. I measured again and the crimp was .002"
    Does this sound about right? The bullets are not jumping crimp after firing 5 shots and measuring. I just want to make sure this is enough for proper burning of the powder and if I can safely go with more crimp then should I?
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Just make your crimp as light as possible. If the bullets start to pull out in your handgun, then tighten them up some. If the bullets aren't moving with the crimp you are using, and you see no signs of over presure, then you are good. When I first started I measured the length of the bullets in the gun, fired a few, and measured the rest to see if they were moving.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Congratulations on your first reloads, mtnman05. 2400 powder is my favorite powder for the .44 magnum. 21.0 grains with a 180 gr. bullet is a good starting load.

About crimping: One bad experience taught me to use a heavier crimp on all my magnum loads. Early in my loading career I had some lightly-crimped bullets jump forward and jam up my revolver. Ever since then I've been using a solid crimp on all hard-kicking loads. This works for me.
  4. mtnman05

mtnman05 New Member

dnt see any pressure signs. I was using Federal large pistol primers and they seemed to flatten a little but the cases fell out of the cylinder by just shaking the gun, didn't even need the ejector.
  5. mikld

mikld Active Member

From my experience and what I've read, a heavy crimp is desireable when using H110/W296. In my .44 magnums I only shoot lead (250 gr SWC and 265 cast Ranchdog FN) and use a pretty heavy crimp to get best accuracy (consistant powder burn) with W296 and WC820.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  6. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

I have experimented now with Unique and H-110.I've had some good
    advise from others here on the Threads.I cast my own bullets.Unique,being a faster burning powder tends to lead my barrel a bit.H-110,being a slower
    burning powder,does a much better job.H-110 also gives me
    better groups.I think the secret to reloading for
    the .44 Magnum is to stay away from fast burning powders.Life will
    be so much easier.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

when i apply a roll crimp to my magnum rovolver rounds i set the crimp die tighter and tighter til a bright ring forms on the mouth of the case, then back off just til it is slightly visible. This amount of crimp will suffice with 99% of the loads you will shoot in your .44 magnum. There is one occasion where I had to crimp heavier, 300 gr sierra JSP over 19 grains of 2400, I had to crimp til the bright ring was as wide as the crimp cannelure in the bullet to keep them still, needless to say i dont load anything heavier than 240 grains in my .44 these days, even loaded near max they dont produce quite enough recoil to move a bullet with a full crimp...

next chance you get go to cabelas and open a box of buffalo bore heavy .44 magnum 340 gr hardcast at 1450 fps. look at the crimp on them, the cases look ruined, but thats what it takes to keep them pills still under that much recoil force...
  8. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

JLA-I've killed that %^%& bug on the screen twice now.Good advise.
    I'll do that.I've been adjusting 3/4 turn after contact of my crimp die.
    As you know,I load light.I'll use your "slightly visible ring" method.Thanks.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its been workin for me for 5 years now without problems...