My first 9 mm...shuuuush!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/10/02 7:33:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All My first 9 mm...shuuuush!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yep, my son paid us a visit and dropped off his Helwan Egyptian 9 mm, which is a copy of the Burette Brigadier as far as I can tell. This gun use to belong to a CIA gent retired but now deceased...his uncle.

Nice gun, but has a recoil spring that is a bit too much for my bad left hand...can't seem to work the slide back. I think they used the shock absorbers off of a 58 Buick Roadmaster for a recoil spring.

But having had all the reloading equipment for the Nine for many years and now finally getting around to loading some of them wonder Nines. First batch I loaded was 95 grain RN FMJ with 6.2 grains of Unique for 1275 fps velocity. They all shot without a glitch. I'm hooked on another caliber.

GG

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/10/02 8:03:14 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: My first 9 mm...shuuuush!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Helwan stuck away in a cabinet - the one I have is pretty crappy - poor workmanship and a trigger pull set for a gorrilla.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/10/02 8:15:30 am)
    GG, your 1st 9mm?

I won't tell if you won't

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/10/02 4:50:53 pm)
    I know, confession is good for the soul...yeh, sure it is...but remember it was a gift not a purchase. Someone had to give it to me.

Maybe we could swap my recoil spring for your gorrila trigger. My right hand is OK, but have to pull slide with left paw...normally. Dang ulner nerve has ruined my left hand in strength anymore.

GG

procrastinator
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/12/02 9:25:19 am)
    What ever you do, don't take the trigger out of it!!
    A guy at work had one and asked if I could lighten the trigger pull so I took it apart to see.
    Took 2 days of getting PO'd, walking away, the coming back for another try to get it together again.
    As Bob said, poor quality but they go bang when the trigger is pulled.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/12/02 1:45:52 pm)
    Now that is odd, the Helwan I've got is in pretty decent shape and appears to not had much use. Trigger pull is no problem guess I've got a good one.

The only complaint is the blasted recoil spring is way too strong and I have a bad left arm and hand to activate the slide. If I switch hands its awkward for me but does work.

Gun is a shooter too, hits where you aim it at if you do your part.

This ain't no pot metal gun...heh heh. After all, its a Burrette design isn't it?

Gunguy

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/13/02 3:58:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: My first 9 mm...shuuuush!
    AGunGuy - my 9mm Beretta is harder to work the slide than my Charles Daly .45acp - so don't feel bad.

On the other hand being left handed I'm used to racking a slide back right handed so since my left side is weaker due to injuries it doesn't matter since I tend to use the right hand for that stuff.

But nice to see you finally got a 9mm!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/13/02 4:42:06 pm)
    Thanks, TLynn on the Burrrette info. Those designs must be all the same with the over sprung recoil springs.

I bought some 9 mm Speer 115 grain Gold Dot .355 dia. bullets today as well as some Hornady 124 grain XTP bullets.

Going to try out some Hodgdon Universal Clays powder with them. This stuff is really supposed to burn clean with no powder residue. Going to use it in my .45 acp loads as well.

GG

The LawII
    (7/13/02 5:28:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del I like the 9mm...

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/13/02 9:52:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: I like the 9mm...
    Uh, LawII. You are showing off a lot of weapons in your recent presentions of them. Did you ever think that some BATF gents could be putting you on their hot list.

But then perhaps your handle denotes that you are above the law and perhaps work for one of those fed agencies.

As for me, I don't own any weapons at all but do collect pictures of them and the products associated with them...wink, wink.

Welcome to our neighborhood.

Gunguy

The LawII
    (7/13/02 10:06:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Yep you right...
    ...Yup only have pictures!!!...Wish I had a gun!...

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/14/02 10:45:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Yep you right...
    Remind me to NEVER, EVER really tick you off!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/14/02 10:54:52 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Yep you right...
    But 280 - why not?

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/14/02 11:18:32 am)
    Um, because I think I might be seriously undergunned?

Pretty impressive array of hardware The Law has been posting, don't ya think?

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/14/02 11:45:51 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Yep you right...
    Very impressive - I even like a few of them (lol).

280 - I guess I've still got the attitude of "Drive fast, take chances" in me even at my age. After all you never know I could get lucky and be the one above ground *grin*!

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/14/02 12:41:20 pm)
    Well, geez, T, I sure HOPE ya plan on stayin' above ground for a good long time yet! Remember, we NEED ya around here!