My first CZ 52 smithing work.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Vectrexer, May 18, 2008.

1. Vectrexer

Vectrexer New Member

The CZ 52 has been one of my favorties to take to the range. it goes with me jsut about every time now. Ususally with the Steyr M40 int he bag too. Since I like it so much I decided to go for some of the little extra bits on Makarov.com.

- The Bloodwood grip panels (Matches the dark refinished look, plus the grips are pretty hard.)
    - Harrington CZ52-2 firing pin replacement kit.
    - Hardened Rollers
    - Wolff 16# Wolff recoil spring
    - The Tools (Staking and firing pin)
    - And since I bought all of the items above as a part of a larger order Makarov.com sent the holster too.

Not having taken any of my pistols down that far yet I was a little nervous about doing the work. But not so much that I would take it to a pro. Granted I did READ and LOOK, and test fit thinng from the armors kit I also bought. But changing the the real deal on a well oeprating pistol had my eye opening just a little wider.

I am happy to say all the worry either (a) helped me to do the job right, or (b) was not really that warranted. In any case I was able to make it through the upgrades with NO problems at all. The CZ 52 reassembly went perfectly. Yes,,, there was a need to check and recheck the the fit of the new components. They were snug, but not so much as to require any modification. For me that meant realizing the difference between snug-good and snug-bad.

The Harrington items are a pleasure to deal with. Right out of the package you can really tell the quality. Of course while staking the pin back into place on the barrel after the roller installation I had to be sure nothing was sticking out. The staking tool was not really appropriate for the job as it tends to over insert that pin. I checked out again a new pin as well. Same result. better to use a hammer and properly sized punch in my case.

After barrel rollers were in I tackled the firing pin replacement. This was also my first work on taking out the firing pin. More reading, and look at the real slide for disassembly. More mental notes of how the pin came out and just how it works with the trigger and decocker as well. I did want to make sure I could fall back to the old pin if neeed. When I first test fitted the Harrington firing pin and detent I really wondered about the difference between the stock items and the detent. They fit sort of tight. Expected since I just cleaned everything. A little lube and all was well. The firing pin and detent sure looked differnt from the factory parts.

During the reassembly of the barrel into the slide I was surprised on how much difference the new 16# Wolff recoil spring. The 16# spring is middle of the road from Makarov.com so I thought it was a good point to start from. Still it was a tighter compression that when i took it apart with the factory CZ spring. Or should I say aged factory spring? I compared I pulled a new one from the armor's kit. New CZ spring was still a big difference from the Wolff spring. The Wolff spring worked out well int he end. I was also glad I bought the tool. Sure I could have used a punch for installation. But it was nice to know I had a choice.

Here are some photos after the work was done. Some pic have different lighting angles. http://www.zmaxdp.com/CZ52/ (If anyone wants to reuse the photos on their web site please send me a PM or an email.)

Also shown in those pictures are the punch marks my slide has on it. I didn't really notice them much until the camera+light made them show better in the close-up shots. And since I have not found any on the net this good I through you all might enjoy seeing them.

The funny thing about doing the work on my pistol is I learned about this page http://iarnuocon.newsvine.com/_news/2007/12/12/1159311-firearms-how-to-cz-52-modificationAFTER I perfomed the work. While I would have felt better knowing beforehand,,, in the end I probably learned more without it. Nervous testing and retesting of fit was better for me.

After the work was completed I took the pistol out for some testing to my local range, Jackson Arms (]http://www.jacksonarms.com/). I read about the realtive feel to be expected from the work. Actually firing the pistol proved the reviews were all they were cracked up to be. The trigger is MUCH easier to pull. The break seems better to me. Since I am a little "digit challenged" on my right hand, easier for my "snub nosed" index finger manage. The stronger Wolff recoil spring felt like it enhanced both the power and the precision of my pistol. The grips were a little more akward at first but I am happy with the new grips now. Overall the CZ 52 with the new parts feels like new, or at least different, pistol. The upgrades have not decreased the accuracy. The pistol is more comfortable for me to shoot. Looks good. Still sounds at least twice as large as it actually is on the range as my Sig P6 does. Most importantly, the fun factor is still high so you know the CZ 52 going back to the range as a partnet to whatever else is in the bag at the time!

The only down side to all of the upgrades is the additon of one more bottle to my cleaning routine. It was already under the sink anyway. yep,, a bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap migrated out to the cleaning kit for use on the new grips. (Sorry honey, I'll buy you another as soon as I remember to run by the store.) The grips are my first wood grips on any of my pistols or rifle. But probably not the last.

I know the work represented here does not really amount to much. So my next goal is to buy an empty CZ 52 frame and populate it. During the process I will polish everything that can be polished as well as do all of the work that is acceptable in Kalifornia to make it a really nice CZ 52.

btw,,, if anyone has a threaded barrel I can send to my family in another state then let me know. It would be nice to try out some of the other "evil" CZ 52 products in a more open minded state when I travel.

Once last note: Makarov.com is shutting down or being sold off. Since the former is a possibility then you might want to have a look on their web site when online ordering opens back up on May 19th (2008). You can get the parts mentioned above from other suppliers but you may not be able to get 40% off of the items.
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. Santa

Santa New Member

Cool. I tend to leave my guns stock and lump the standard oddities. In large part it's because I'd never know when to stop messing with it. Sorry to hear about Makarov.com.