My First Firearm: Ruger P90

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by cubicool, Mar 6, 2004.

1. cubicool

cubicool New Member

Hello TTF, my first post--and likely, the same thing everyone else posts their first time!

I recently purchased a new Ruger P90 from a local gunstore here in Atanta. I spent a lot of time talking with the dealer, holding different guns and learning about what the differences are in the varying calibers and brand names.

The Ruger appealed to me for a number of reasons, though there was a Smith & Wesson I liked more, which was approximately $900. Seeing as my budget was $500, I went with the P90. It felt solid and heavy, and didn't look flimsy or delicate. It came highly reccomended.

My concern is: I see a number of posts here where folks' advice is to "work up" to a .45 caliber from a smaller firearm.

Am I really hurting myself by starting out with a .45?
  2. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

i had the same fear. i've shot guns(mostly small stuff .22 and the like) as a kid and i heard about getting a "flinch" with a .45 as a first gun but honestly if your not scared of firearms you'll be all set, i'm glad i went with the .45 as a first gun aside from the cost of ammo but other then that i love it.

nice to go to the range and make noise and go plinking and see the stuff fall over and you KNOW a 45 hit it not like "was that the 22 or the wind that knocked my pin over?"

i'm actually working down, planning on getting a Walther p22 once the tax refund comes in :D just cuz they look like fun and are cheap to shoot

once you get used to the .45 it's fun, after shooting my SKS for about 200 rounds i ran 2 clips through my 1911 and it felt funny, i thought someone stole the recoil, felt like i was shooting my .22 revolver, i guess in the end it's the shooters perception of what's "too much"

Oh yah and welcome to TFF
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2004
  3. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Hi Cubi, Ruger makes good stuff, stronger than it needs to be. Shoot it alot and get used to the feel. As others say, Feed it often and keep it clean.
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Welcome Cubicool....

I used to own a p90.
    They're good.....

45 is not too much for anyone....

I saw a 12 year old girl shoot a 454 casull one time and manage the recoil better than some grown men........

flinching is in the mind....excessive recoil is also....

mike
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Welcome cubicool to our happy forum. Glad to have you with us. Hope you'll stay and do a lot of posting!

Attached Files:

6. cubicool

cubicool New Member

Lots of replys, fast. Thanks, guys.
  7. iceman32

iceman32 New Member

one of the biggest factors of flinch is noise especially when your at an indoor rang I suggest wearing ear plugs then muffs and that will help with flinch if you're that worried but it shouldn't be a problem.
  8. cubicool

cubicool New Member

Well, I went and fired it for the first time yesterday!

Having never shot a firearm before, I was surprised at how absolutely SMOOTH the whole process was! The gun is a breeze to control, and recoil is basically non-existant. I did have a couple of what the owner referred to as "stovepipes", but I improved my technique a bit and had no problems thereafter.

I only fired about 75 rounds, but I'm going back tonight to put 200 more through it.

The biggest improvement, I found, was using the tip of my finger as opposed to my entire index; beyond that, though, I'm still learning.

There was one guy there who was shooting at a sillouette target from about 80 feet and hit everytime within six inches or so of the same area. It was incredible. You don't really appreciate something like that until you see how hard it is.

:)

I'll post my targets later tonight.
  9. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Looks like we have another gun nut on our hands. :) Welcome to the club, cubicool. Looking forward to hearing more from you and seeing those targets. :D
  10. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

coolcubicool!! Sounds like a happy camper to me! You done entered thru the door of no return. It only gets more obcessive from here.

But, ain't it fun!!
  11. frosty

frosty New Member

Next you will want to build one like I did................oops, I forgot I built one and I am working on the second one!

Maybe I am crazy?????????????

1911's, you got to love them.
  12. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Congratulations on the new toy. I started on an old p-series as a child. It was very reliable and decently accurate. Just remember the three finger hold, and hold on strong. This will prevent the 'stovepipe' problem. When you are target shooting, many people will talk about the Limp wrist,slow squeeze. This works great when you do have the time to clear a jam. However, I found it much better to hold a firm grip on my Ruger. Don't anticipate recoil either. It's gonna kick anyway, if you are trying to expect it, you will go off target. Let the kick be a surprise, but let the grip remain solid, and you will have a nice shot.
    Take all comments here in to consideration, then do what you like. I believe in the natural swing in golf as well as the natural grip in shooting. Do what feels natural to you, and have fun.
    BTW - get a walther P22. They are great for practice. Much less expensive than the .45 rounds.

Beagle
  13. ChuckMac

ChuckMac New Member

I own a Ruger P90. Great gun but kicks like a mule. I even replaced the stock recoil spring with a 16lb one and it still kicks like Anne Boline being dragged to the chopping block. I've got big hands, own and shoot several guns and have tried the Weaver, modified Weaver, Iso and mod ISO stances and that lil mutha still kicks like hell. Shoots good groups but a double tap is totally out of the question. Please reply by e-mail because I'm away a lot and that way I will probably get the reply. I'm 55 and have shot all my life so I'm no cherry at handling recoil and with the P90 that just doesn't happen.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  14. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member