My First Gun Show....Advise?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PharmrJohn, Nov 24, 2009.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

I am going to my first gun show on Saturday. I am not sure if I am going to buy or not. I am not adverse to the idea....but I need something. I am probably the only person on this forum that doesn't own a firearm. Money's tight and I have been saving up (well....I was.....I spent it on Christmas for the kids). But I still may be able to pull off something.

I pretty much know what pistols are worth. I like Glock and Sig. I wouldn't mind a Kimber, but that is a little up there in $$$$. I saw the prices for Hi-Point and thought...wow...must be awful.

So that is it. Any suggestions...especially RE: used items?
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Bring cash, if you can. Some dealers will now take credit cards or checks, but cash is best. Everyone takes cash.
  3. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

Gun shows are sooo much fun! Yes, bring lots and lots of cash....buy lots and lots of guns and ammo! :D
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Hi-Points are not as bad as people say they are. And those that dog them probably have never fired one. Yes there heavy and bulky but the two I've had have always been reliable. For a first gun without a heavy investment its not a bad deal. I don't usually push particular brands or models on people but I encourage them to get what fits. I don't know what your budget is but here are some suggestions based on what I have had experience with in the past. Kimbers, Sigs, HK etc are all fantastic but you are correct, they do run more money, but keep an eye out for these and try them out. CZ 75's and 85's (400.00+)(there a little higher but not as high as the previous and just as good I think CZ is a top notch manufacturer) S&W Model 39 and 59's. (250-350). Taurus PT92's, Beretta Centurions (300-400), Ruger 85's 89's and 95's (250 range) Hi Points (90-150). Stay away from, Raven, Jennings, Jaminez, Lorcin and for God sakes no S&W sigmas.

Be prepared for crowds, give yourself plenty of time. Look at all the tables. Sometimes you find yourself a real nice deal from a guy who only have 3 or 4 guns but has tons of accessories.
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

Cool....thanks guys and gals. It is going to be fun. I am trying to get my son to go with me. A little father-son time at a gun show is perfect in my eyes. But.....he doesn't want to get up at 0830. Wus.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

If there are any Ruger P series there check them out as well (except the P345 as I have heard a lot of bad press on them) as they are reasonably priced, completely reliable (mine) and rugged. If you haven't been to a gun shop to compare prices then be careful as many of the shows I have been to the guns are way overpriced. If you can find someone locally with an FFL they may give you the best deal. I thought there was someone on this forum that was selling at 10% above his cost??
  7. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

Just have a good time and remember, just because you're at a gun show doesn't mean everythings a great deal or everything is discounted like they portray in the radio commercials. You can find some good deals but many items are actually marked up higher.But it's a great oppertunity to get your hands on hundreds of different firearms and see how they fit you. Have a good time!
  8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I dont know how old your son is but if he is real young he will soon tire and get antsy while YOU on the other hand will be like an old guy in a gun store! You will want to stay until you have seen and held everything in the show at least 4 times. I have discovered that kids and sometimes shhhhhh...wives... will hold you back from that which you covet. Leave them at home.
    EDIT.. Watch your prices. Most gunshow dealers want way too much. I go there to view and hode it (as in Let me hode it lemme hode it)then I go price shopping.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  9. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Don't be afraid to try to barter with the vendors. Maybe they will come off the price a little. If not, at least try the tactic of offering full price...less the tax.
    Also, check all the tables before you buy. You may see the same model gun you like on several tables at several different prices. Try something like, " the guy over at that table is wanting X amount for this same gun. Can you beat it"? Some might be hungrier than the others and come down a little. Good luck!
  10. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

if the dude wants tax-----WALK!!:cool:
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Do your homework beforehand, narrow your choices down to a few specific guns and get some pricing for different gun conditions. Know what is a good price for what gun, don't guess or get caught up in any whims or impulse buys. If you're looking for a great value and a 9mm is ok with you; try to find a Sig P6; they're LE trade ins and can usually be had for between $300-$425 dependant upon condition.
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

If he is a dealer he has to charge tax. He is putting his business on the line if he doesnt.
  13. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

duzznt have to charge--supposed to pay...cash deals how much U think goes to the govt? any smart dealer wood bild it into the askiking price.

How much is this Colt? $500-----tax included

IB tries to avoid deelin with a deelr an usually duz.

I dunno------:cool:
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Whats the diff? I say the colt is 500 tax included or 465 + tax same thing.
  15. Artemus

Artemus New Member

If you expect to find any bargains just stay home.If you just want to be entertained then go and have fun.