My first gun show

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dlee58, Mar 7, 2009.

1. dlee58

dlee58 New Member

Finally got a weekend off that was the same weekend as a gun show. Had fun was a little disappointed at the same time. The show started at 9 a.m. and I couldn't get there until 3 p.m. Was looking for a 380 to carry around and they were all gone by the time I got there. I heard plenty of other people looking for 380s also. Ammo was selling, but for a premium price but at least they had it. I was amazed with the number of tables selling scopes.

Tons of long guns, handguns had been picked over pretty well. Found nothing I could not live without. As far as handguns, Smiths, Glocks and a few SA arms were the most common, mostly 40s. I did see a few Walther P22's. Ones with built in lasers were selling for $399 at one table and $525 at another.

Did not see any of the good deals that I always heard were available at gun shows. A lot of interesting stuff, a lot of old collector stuff. Had a two day pass but I won't go back in the morning, I'll wait for the next one or just go a head and buy what I want from a dealer.

The turn out from what I saw and heard was very large and most folks seemed to be doing a brisk business.

I had fun and it was educational for me.
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I don't think you're going to find many 'deals' anywhere right now. Supply is EXTREMELY depleted as demand for all guns has skyrocketed since November 5, 2008. With a depleted supply, so goes that prices are way up. :(

Don't give up hope. Gun shows in normal times (and these are certainly not normal) are bargain shops for many guns. We bought my wife's S&W 642 at a gun show. The price ranged from $429 at one table to $365 at another table new.

Dealers in these times aren't interested in making good deals because the supply of what they have to offer is VERY scarce. Good luck and don't give up...
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Recently the only deals I've found at gun shows are for bulk bullets and components.... and they are reasonable only because shipping costs jack up the price of online purchases.

It wasn't that way two-three years ago. Lots of good guns then.
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Now all gunshows are created equal. Some are much better than others... especially when i find what i'm looking for! :D:D;)

I've always been more of a small gunshop kind of person...and i don't like buying online. I don't care how much i save...i like keeping the mom and pop shops in business!

mike
    gn
  5. swanshot

swanshot New Member

I'm with you glocknut. Good on ya mate.:D:D
  6. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+100 on that statement. If everyone felt that way, we wouldn't be sooooo "WalMartized" and buying crap made in China
  7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I don't mind paying 10% more at a local shop, but not 30-40% more. No way. I go online then. And that's what I've had to start doing.

They're putting themselves out of business with that type of markup going on.

Of course, when the online guys are depleted, all that's left is the expensive local shop. Oh well. :D:eek:
  8. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

It's not I prefer a local gun store, but I have a severe dislike of buying a firearm that I"ve not handled beforehand. It's the same as buying a car that I"ve not testdriven. My life may depend on a gun or a car, I just perfer to try it out before I buy it. Now gun parts, ammo, stuff like that I'll buy online, but not the actual firearm.
  9. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Yes. definitely. I was talking about AMMO and PARTS only. Not the actual firearm. For that, I want to handle it beforehand. :D
  10. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

My favorite local shop has very competitive prices on firearms but their ammo is sometimes as much as 50% higher than other places. Their Wolf 7.62 x 39mm ammo was $8.49/box while you could buy it online for $4.29/box in bulk. I think this is a strategy they've chosen to take. They realize that a lot of their buyers of guns will also want ammo. In the heat of the moment type of deal they'll just ask for a couple of boxes of x ammo, not thinking much about the price. I know I've done it there before. I was being an idiot and just said, "give me a 20-round box of .45 185 Gr. Hydrashoks". They did, for $34.50. When I looked at the receipt after I left the store I almost got sick. My wife and I were trying to make it to a movie and it was the store's closing time so it's not like I could just turn around and walk back in to return them. I bought some more later at another local store for $23.00/box. :eek:

And on what Glocknut said, I have no problem with buying online and transferring to a local dealer. They also have no problem with it... I transfer something to them and they get to charge me from $15-25 and do pretty much nothing. I have a CWP so they don't even have to call in the background check The last time I transferred a Kahr to a local guy, I did so because I couldn't find it locally. I use him for a lot of transfers. I walked in and picked up the Kahr for a $15 transfer fee and noticed a Ruger LCP in his case. I knew my uncle wanted one and couldn't find one, so I called him. The dealer held the gun and my uncle picked it up a couple of days later. Dealers have an incentive to do local transfers. Just like this instance, all my dealer did was to accept the gun. He got $15 and sold another gun out of the deal. I don't see a problem with that... :confused:
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  11. Hells Toy Master

Hells Toy Master New Member

I too like my small gun shops but at the same time there are some I dont like... one near by my place.. the marksmen... very Nice staff but the owner is a *** Hole...

I went in one day and a retired Leo officer was in there... He had bought one of the Leo / Military only guns and wanted to trade it in... the case and all said 45, but they gave him a 40cal... He simply wanted to trade it in and swap over to the size he wanted. ( roughly the same price. ) He aslo was willing to pay a restocking fee....

the owner said No and said that he was not willing to take it back, but he would buy it off him for 1/2 Price!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

The older gent had only bought the gun that morning and it was just after noon..

My family ( + extended family ) used to go there exclusively to buy our firearms... now I go to cabales ( extra 20 miles away ) or to a small gun shop that is almost as far out as cablas.... ( the small shop is VERY small )