My first Heart Attack Rehab Project...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by polishshooter, Oct 22, 2007.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

The good news about having a heart attack is the time on your hands...:cool:

So after I finished loading about 400 rounds of .45, and a few boxes of x54, I went "exploring" for projects, and brought in the 4 remaining M44 barreled actions and the half dozen busted stocks in the garage, left over from when I bought about 12 or so "Ufixem" deals from Century for $9.95 apiece about 6 or so years ago...I had fixed up or sold the good ones, these left were the "basket cases...."

Lo and behold if after cleaning out the cosmo turds from the barrels, if they all aren't in decent shape....

And one of the post war 1946s even had a front sight, which is what most of the others were missing..

Soooo....after a week of major stock repair, had to replace and then shape the toe, I wish I could have found a darker piece of wood for the splice, but it stained up OK...and then refinishing, and scrounging through the parts bin, here is the first "restoration...." the "Rehab Russian...":p

I just function tested it out back, two for the "Polish Headspace Test," and then a stripper rapid (which it took nicely...;))

I believe I just might keep this one as a "Shooter..."

Not bad for a $9.95 rifle, huh?

I also have a nice 1945 wartime high wall, and a nice wartime stock I think I can repair too...I just have to track down a front sight, which may be tough, and order a bolt....

The other two (both wartimes) I think I'm going to strip and make into another sporter to sell, and the other into another scout..maybe it will shoot better than my current one.

Maybe I can get them done before the doc clears me for work....;)
  2. polishshooter

Crap, the picture didn't upload, let me try again....

Attached Files:

3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

$9.95? You can't beat that with a stick!! Nice work!
  4. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Nice work, nice piece, nice price. Lucky bugger.

Oh, and I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. :D
  5. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

6. polishshooter

Thanks Trap, I get the Tennessee Guns parts email, but he always seems to be out of stock on the stuff I need when I need it... and Numrich only lists one size, probably the more common post war wide base not the narrow base wartime I need. I'll give them a call though...

I always wondered why the Russians would have changed something as mundane as the width of the sight base, but they must have had a reason, maybe the thinner wartime ones broke too easily when they used them as prybars?:p:D

And yeah, I'm interested in that 91/30 chopped stock, it might save me some repair/epoxy time, how much do you want for it?
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Pay the shipping and it's yours.............and a ice cold Sam Adams if we ever cross paths.:D
    No stock bands, the ones on it are off a M39 stock and I used them on the sniper. Hand guard is there though.
    I'm up to my eyeballs in alligators, I only have time to post while I'm having my coffee before I head out the door to work.:( Give me at least a week to get it in the mail. PM me your mailing addy.