My first M1 Garand (The "Garand Guy"?)

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Desert Cajun, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Desert Cajun

Desert Cajun New Member

Hi guys,

Just wondering, has anyone here done business with www.garandguy.com?

I'm looking for my first M1 Garand and have seen some positive comments about his business and rifles.

Thanks for anyone's opinion or info.

-Craig
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never had any dealing with him. I have bought two Garands, an 03-A3, and an Enfield P-17 from the CMP in Anniston, AL. If you can qualify, you might want to look into them before you buy, they have the Garands from $495 and up (if you don't mind waiting.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

Check out the eligibility requirements to see if you do qualify.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i was within a froghair of bringing home a 1943 Garand with 2 bandoleers and the enbloc clips to fill both badoleers today. it was in a gun store in a neighboring county. $900... ive been kicking myself all day for not buying it.:rolleyes::mad: i want a garand soooo bad:p:p

the garand guy's website seems to be "in order"...ive never had any dealings with him but hey...if you can get a garand... why not give them a call???
  4. Desert Cajun

Desert Cajun New Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I may give him a call...after I go over my finances and see if I can swing it:eek:

I don't know what it is, but I have just been infactuated with the M1 Garand lately. I have two Rock River AR15's, a pretty nice Chinese SKS, and a Lancaster (Romanian) AK, but I would really like to feel a genuine M1 Garand on my shoulder.

Thanks again for the feedback.

-Craig
  5. miker22

miker22 New Member

CMP has great service. Until recently, the selection in the south store was very good as well. Now the demand has caused the service grades to be pulled off shelves but for 495 you can get some nice field grades.
  6. Laufer

Laufer New Member

A friend who was a sharpshooter on the Navy Rifle Team highly recommends the CMP and their rifles.

He said that "you should walk in and see those racks and racks of shiny Garands".
    It must be quite a sight to behold, over in Anniston, AL.

If Wolf had produced (really cheap) 30-06 ammo in '08, I would have pursued these rifles.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  7. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

It IS a sight to behold! Hundreds of Garands, 03's, M-1 carbines, P-17's, etc... just sitting there for you to handle and admire! If you order by mail, you generally get luck of the draw as far as what you receive in your grade of choice, however, you can request specifics in your mail order, (Springfield or H R preference, for example). If you go in person, you can spend hours finding just the one you want. Plus no waiting for it to be shipped to you, unlike ordering by mail.
    As far as ammo, they sell it. 30.06 Mil-surp 192 rounds in enbloc clips with bandoliers - $75
    Not bad, huh?
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have to say also that it is a sight to walk in there and see all of those rifles, WOW!! I just got an email from CMP yesterday. They are limiting the amount of M2 ball ammo that any one person can buy. The limit is 10 "spam" cans or 30 cal ammo cans per year per customer.
  9. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

21bravo, know about your woulda, coulda, shoulda. Back in the 60s, a gunshop I used to visit everytime I came home out of the Gulf of Mexico had a Genuine original Sharps in 50-90. At the time it wasn't very expensive. The only thing wrong with it was a ringed barrel. The ring was about 8" up the bbl. Shouldn't have affected acuracy. The bbl. was about the size of a drill colar. If you havent worked in the oil field, thats real stout. It had been on display for several years so they knocked about 25% off. Had 1 baby and another on the way, you know the drill. I procrastinated another 2 weeks then decided I had to have it. I walked into the store and looked over the door.....it was gone. 50 years and I'm still fretting over it. Bought a copy in 45-70, love it. It shoots better than I can but it is still not that old 50-90. The good thing about that Garand that got away is that you will get another shot. Enjoy when you get it.
  10. Dr342

Dr342 New Member

The CMP is the best. My first Garand was a winchester back in 1992. Was a great luck of the draw rifle that was complete with 95% WRA parts. I got a service Grade H&R from them last year and it was great. For $595 you will get a nice rifle, the 4-6 month wait is worth it.
  11. schutzen-jager

schutzen-jager New Member

the garand guy ( tony giacobbe ) is a great guy - lives two towns down the road from me - if you are looking for something more correct than a cmp gun - he is the man to see - very into garands - he used to open his office once a month to local collectors + shooters for a bs session - good man + i learned a lot from him -
  12. Celraysoda

Celraysoda New Member

I got my Garand from Tony. Great condition with no problems. It gets a lot of attention at the range. If your looking for a Garand, you should see what he has.
  13. Grayrider

Grayrider New Member

I bought a Premium Garand from Tony. He is a great guy, and even though I had problems with the trigger group popping out on a new stock he replaced it under his 1 year warranty AND paid for shipping both ways. CMP is Great too , but Tony ships next day and CMP wait is about 3 to 4 months now.
  14. nstoolman1

nstoolman1 Member

I also purchased from Tony and am very satisfied with it. The CMP is also a great way to go, Buy for less and wait or pay more and get it in a week.
  15. Orlando

Orlando Member

I have heard alot of small problems with the Garand Guys Garands lately. Nothing major and he always made things right but for the money he charges there should be zero problems.
    I think you can do better just ordering a Service Grade from CMP. Yes you will have to wait a few months but it will be worth it.
    Take the money saved and order ammo. Just my opinion
  16. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Thanks guys for all the info on the Garand, I will be getting my membership card ASAP, and then a visit to the Anniston, AL store. Road trip and a gun! Can't beat that combo!
  17. Orlando

Orlando Member

You need to read up on the CMP requirements. You dont get a CMP membershi card or join CMP
    You need to belong to a qualified club that CMP recongnizes and meet the other qualifications for firearms handling.
    If you have any questions on qualifications just ask
  18. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    When I said a membership card, I meant a CMP membership card. I did look at the requirements. Thanks for the heads up though!
  19. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

You will not be disappointed - CMP gave me a gourgous Garand.
  20. Orlando

Orlando Member

I have mail order and handpicked Garands and havent been dissapointed yet. Read the description carefully and expect to get that. Anything better and it will be a plus.
    [​IMG]