My First Mauser 98k

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by RonC, Dec 20, 2009.

1. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Gandog56 - Yup, your'e right - I guess we got a little off-track, and my apologies to RonC. Just that these are related - a little...... I think maybe we are all into old military rifles and I for one get carried away. My humble apologies to all.

Trap55 - that was desperation to use those lapping bullets. They do work, but I wouldn't tell anybody to shoot a steady diet of them. I just needed to fire a few to take off the rough edges, and it worked for me. JB Bore paste usually works, but in this case it was a little to far gone for that, and those bullets did the trick. Hope this ends the nightmares, because I'm done barrel lapping!

Laufer - you can see with the discussion with LDBennet that there are different schools of thought on neck sizing vs FL sizing. There is even as LD pointed out - 'partial case sizing'. Remember that if you elect to neck size, your cases are going to pretty much be limited to that rifle. Sounds like you have a couple different .303s, so that will be a problem.

You might try LDBennet's solutuon and partial case size. That way you can avoid FL stress on those cases, and maybe enable that ammo to feed into all of your rifles. Just FYI, I currently reload WCC, Winchester, Federal and Remington cases. The Federal cases seem a little brittle, but that is only one lot that I've shot of that so far. I just neck size and trim them. Haven't tried tha PRVI brass, but I'm looking for some.
  2. RonC

RonC New Member

I must say that I have read the posts with great interest. Next Saturday, I take a course in reloading at the home of a member of the shooting club I belong to. The posts have made me realize that reloading isn't just shoving some powder down a casing, throwing in a primer, and fitting the requisite bullet. Your posts have opened my mind. You all are a great reservoir of valuable information!

Now, that said, I should point out that neck resizing can get out of hand:
    [​IMG]

Ron (ducking and running)
  3. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

That one needs a case trimmer.:D
  4. Laufer

Laufer New Member

Thanks Jim.

Will need to learn full-length .303 resizing, before doing a partial, I suppose. Some dozen test rounds have been reloaded five times each, but as with most of mine, they only chamber in the #5 "Jungle Carbine".
    To clarify, even when from the Prvi boxes into the LE #4, after the first reload with only neck-sizing, only about 20% will allow the bolt to close in the #4.

As for Mausers, am so very glad that surplus 8mm is still about as cheap as x54R.

Will prices for surplus 8mm ammo (Rom. and Yugo), on average, probably increase a bit faster than prices for the actual surplus Yugo, Czech and 'RC' Mauser rifles? You guys have been involved with guns for many more years than I.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

On the laminated stocks, I was going by a Mauser I own, dated 1938 and the stock is numbered which was usually not done with replacements. Besides, Law cites an official document from that year authorizing the laminated stock. But he shows pictures of Sauer-made rifles with a G date (1935), and dates of 1936 and 1937. The description says "walnut stock" but the pictures clearly show a laminated type. So either they are replacements (why only on Sauer?) or Sauer jumped the gun and began using laminated stocks as early as 1935.

Jim
  6. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Jim, the earliest I know of on laminates is 1938, but there isn't a whole lot of info out there. The white glue stocks were supposed to be the early attempts, before the red epoxy was used. But the only three white glue stocks I've seen were on "ar" (Borsigwalde) stamped receivers dated the last year of production for that code in 1944.:confused:
  7. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

That stock on RonC's 98k has me puzzeled. It looks from the picture like it has the stock inletted for a standard 98k sling, but then on the other hand it has a lower sling swivel and a barrel band with a bottom swivel point like a Yugo Mauser. Anyhow, that's just how my antique eyes see it. Not being a 98k expert like a bunch of you guys, I thought (maybe wrong) that all German 98k rifles used the side mounted sling.

With the work to be done on that stock, if it was me I'd just find a nice lamenated stock and go from there. Have to replace that barrel band, though.

Either way I think he has a potential good shooter, even as is. Bunch of education for me on laminated stocks and resins used on them.
  8. RonC

RonC New Member

I have looked into buying a barrel band with the side sling mount. It's not very expensive. I could leave on the bottom sling mount in the rear or remove it and fill the hole.

It doesn't look sporterized. There is no glass bedding or cutting back of the forearm. There is the side sling mount inletting on the stock as you have seen.

The crown and rifling look pretty decent and the head space is good. Just a few 8 mm rounds and I am ready to go.:)

Ron
  9. big steve

big steve New Member

thats a beauty
  10. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Ron, my first post on this thread I said it looked like a Czech refurb, I still think it is. Russian captures were pretty much consistent and easy to ID. Czechs have all kinds of variations.
    I'd bet my money yours was a parts clean up refurb. I have a 98a, a GEW98 in a 98K configuration, that was refurbed and the stocks are near identical. My bet is your 98K was fitted to one of these stocks.
    I'll be looking forward to a range report.