My first relaoded ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/29/02 7:05:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All My first relaoded ammo
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wellllll....I finally got started reloading yesterday. Loaded up some rounds went out to fire them. 200gr SWC 7.1 gr. of Acc #5. Loads were really light. I had several that wouldnt return the slide to battery. Also had several that didn't fire when struck by the pin. Figured that one out, I didnt get the primers seated quite deep enough. My OAL is a little long because the shoulder of the bullet will be down in the case if I go with the listed depth of 1.19. Do you guys think that OAL is the problem?

The test gun was a kimber classic target that I just changed from a 16lb spring to a 18.5 lb.

steve

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/29/02 3:01:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: My first relaoded ammo
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chief 101 you're doing just fine, one of the first rules is "start light and work up to the desired load". There are several small problems that could / will crop up in the beginning, i.e. the primer / oal problems etc. Working with light loads will give you a safe opportunity to work those things out before getting to full power where the problem might be multiplied.

"roll on"

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/29/02 6:16:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Chief:
    I've run into the same problem with my Colt, now my Colt likes SWC's that sit out just a little longer than my manual suggests, but anytime I had trouble getting a good lock up I would seat the bullet just a tad deeper, make sure I crimped the case nicely, and made sure my handloads were clean and clear of any lead, bullet lube, ect, (I've gotten to where I shine my handloads with a cloth before boxing them up) brushed my barrel and throat, and rock on...

One other problem I had was that I was crimping the case just a little to much...The case will buldge...in my case it buldged so slightly that it passed inspection, but it wouldnt fully chamber.

Well I'm new at all this too, but maybe I can help out somewhere, somehow.

Welcome to reloading!
    ~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

Edited by: Donny Henry at: 3/29/02 6:23:24 pm

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/29/02 7:25:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Chief:
    Chief:

From my own experience, seat primers where they will past the depth test of running your thumb or fore finger over said primer and bottom rim cartridge case, and if it does not bump your digit then it should be seated just enough to past that test. Do not perform a crushed fit that deforms the primer.

Also, make sure the primer flash hole is clean of burnt residue from its last firing, this makes for smooth primer insertion.

Donny, if you get slight bulges in your cartridge case from seating the bullet, adjust die or you might try running the loaded cartridge up into the resizing die with the removal of the primer punch. Just enough to take care of the bulge, you don't need to full length resize the cartridge. Then check your reloads for chambering fit in the barrel outside of the gun if its a .45 acp semi auto pistol.

Good loading to you both.

Gunguy

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/30/02 10:27:05 am)
    Thanks guys,

I'll tweak things a little and see what happens...

I know it's better for a newbie to start with a single stage press.....BUT.....all this die swappin' handle pullin' really gets to a guy..lol

Steve

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/30/02 2:45:13 pm)
    Chief, you are sure correct about the pain in the caboose of changing out dies in a single stage press. This has always bugged me too. Finally, I took an old Hornady 07 press that was made in the 80s and had the die hole enlarged to accept the new Hornady lock-n-load twist in 1/4 turn and twist out 1/4 turn and you have a very fast method of changing dies.

Unfortunetly, not all reloading brand presses of different makes can offer this transformation. On most brands there is not enough metal thickness to bore a big enough hole to accept these devices.

I have a C&H 4-die station press I would love to have the L-N-L die inserts...but not enough metal in die plate head. Might find me a machinest some day who can make me a little bigger die plate head.

You can also buy yourself a Hornady press and it has these features I've mentioned.

Gunguy

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/30/02 7:19:08 pm)
    GG:
    I would have never thought of removing slight buldges on a loaded round with a die...LOL Sweet! I'll remember that.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/30/02 8:24:59 pm)
    Worked for me, bro.

GG

inplanotx
    (4/3/02 5:38:08 pm)
    Another way to get rid of the case bulge with a roll crimp die is to buy yourself a taper crimp die instead. Adjust it until you get the case mouth to .469". A quick and dirty way to check your finished rounds is to remove the barrel from your pistol and just start dropping rounds into the chamber to see if they fully seat. This saves many clearing of malfunctions and embarrassing stares at the range. If you want to keep from field stripping your .45, Midway sells Wilson case guages. Both items are fairly cheap and have saved me many hours of problems. Hope this helps and happy shootin'.

Rick
    I am not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!

Edited by: inplanotx at: 4/3/02 5:43:57 pm

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/4/02 12:21:24 am)
    I bought one of those case gauges. The rounds all gauged just fine and then went on to hang up in the pistol.

BTW, I think I found the problems I was having, I little to much length and not near enough crimp. Since I took care of those two things, everything is right with the world.....er....at least with this batch of ammo...

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/4/02 5:46:18 am)
    No, you had it right...Sometimes, they are the world. :p