My first rifle

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Link
    (12/2/02 7:35:17 pm)
    Reply My first rifle
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys i am thinking of getting my first rifle for christmas. i dont know a whole lot about guns but have had some experience in shooting a few. I am looking for a good .22 to start out. I will mainly be using it for shooting at ranges and for plinking. I preferably want a cool looking (you know looks like a sniper rifle ) stainless steel, accurate .22, i dont really care about weight because i am not hunting, yet so if u could post andy useful info or suggestions i would be very grateful
    THANX!

gram22
    (12/2/02 11:52:41 pm)
    Reply Your first rifle
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you want something "sniper" looking, with equal accuracy to go with it... then you would probobly most enoy a bolt-action rifle. There are cheap models that start out in the $100 price-range, but from there on the prices can get high. The nicest ones, from what I hear, are the models offered by Kimber. When picking out a rifle, it is best to pick up the ones you like at the store and hold them. I would rather pick out a cheap inaccurate rifle that feels right then pick an expensive accurate one that is too cumbersome for me to shoulder. Don't just take my advice, listen to what the other members have to say. A lot of them have much more experiance than me, and will set you in the right direction.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/2/02 11:57:05 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: My first rifle
    Get a good one if you want some accuracy.

Ruger 10/22 I believe would be a good one.

pickenup
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/3/02 1:18:07 am)
    Reply Re: My first rifle
    The Ruger 10/22 has so many factory and aftermarket parts that when you get done cusomizing it, YOU won't even recognize it. You can make it look like just about anything you want. Just about everyone I know that shoots has at least one.

Link
    (12/3/02 2:02:24 am)
    Reply reply
    yah i am heading towards a bolt action, i have fired a lever .22, it is cool but i love the feel of the bolt, and i hear it is more accurate so i think im gonna go with a bolt, thanx for the input, keep em coming

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/3/02 7:45:57 am)
    Reply Re: reply
    Ruger 77/22 bolt action. Great rifle.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/3/02 7:52:06 am)
    Agree with shooter45.....but get the laminated with the heavy barrel. SWEET!!!!

LTS

Link
    (12/3/02 8:48:50 pm)
    Reply reply
    what is the difference between the ruger 10/22 and the 77/22? size or what?

gram22
    (12/3/02 11:12:02 pm)
    Reply Difference between the rifles.
    Hmm, the biggest difference is that the 77/22 is bolt action, while the 10/22 is semi-automatic. The 77/22 weighs 6lbs. and has a 20in. barrel. The 10/22 is 5lbs. and has a 18 & 1/2in. barrel. The two rifles share a similar type of factory magazine that is copyrighted by Sturm, Ruger & Company, inc. The website can be found at the following address: www.ruger-firearms.com

Link
    (12/3/02 11:47:24 pm)
    Reply reply
    thats cool, yah i definately want a bolt action, i have tried both and like the bolt better. Though i like the idea of the 10/22 having so many accessories that you can customize is basically however you want to, and am wondering if the ruger 77/22 has the same capabilities

gram22
    (12/4/02 5:19:38 am)
    Reply Accessories.
    The 10/22 has been around since the 1960's and has sold itself many times, that is why it has so many accessories available. I am not sure however, about the 77/22. There are different factory stocks available from Ruger. You can probobly add a nice scope, rifle sling, and bull barrel to it aswell.

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/4/02 5:43:37 pm)
    Reply Re: Accessories.
    Don't think you can go wrong with the Ruger, takes a lickin and keeps on ticken!

Seriously though (smarta$$ mode on)

How about a Browning .50 BMG with an offset .22 cal. barrel liner (so the firing pin hits the rim)? Might have to cut a few coils off the mainspring though. This mounted on a tripod with traversing mechanism will sure turn heads at the range!!

Even LTS' 57 foot drop @ 1000 yds would be duck soup for this one!

(smarta$$ mode off)

Whatever you choose, enjoy and keep em in the black!

Hey, didn't Carlos Hathcock make his longest shot in the Central Highlands in RVN with the .50 BMG and hit a moving (Charlie) at 2500 yds?

Hey LTS, whats the drop for this one?

I am not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!

Link
    (12/4/02 11:40:10 pm)
    Reply reply
    thanx for the suggestion but i have a really limited budget and dont think i could afford that gun, and all of those modifications :S Idont think, but am wondering if the ruger 10/22 comes in a bolt action or could like modify it to or sumthing

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/5/02 7:44:21 am)
    No.

gram22
    (12/5/02 10:26:29 am)
    Reply Ruger 10/22.
    The Ruger 10/22 only comes in semi-automatic. With the correct modifications it can be made into a sub-machine gun (full auto). To do this legally would require a Class III License, you can purchase the modified bolts from hillmans.nu at about $500. You would have to put a good bolt buffer in to keep from damaging the actual receiver. I thought about doing it myself for a while, but I will just stick with a legal 10/22 and a good Ramline Steel Lips 50rd. magazine.

Link
    (12/5/02 1:20:44 pm)
    Reply reply
    how much does the 77/22 cost? canadian

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/5/02 1:26:47 pm)
    Link,

The 77/22 in my area is selling for around $400. US.