1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

My First Rock!!!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by tex45acp, Jun 5, 2009.

1. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

I am and have been a 1911 guy for over 30 years, but I haven't had a 5" for quite some time. I was in a gunstore that I usually don't buy from, due to price and lack of selection, looking for a new carrying case for my two AR15's, and as I passed the guncase I saw something interesting....an RIA Tactical. I have never even given RIA the time of day until I saw this gun, I picked it up and asked the clerk if I could inspect it. He said yes and I field stripped it and was impressed with fit and finish. He handed me a dummy round to try the trigger and again I was impressed, not the best trigger pull, but surely not the worst I had ever felt. I asked if he had a pull gage and I tested it.....4lbs and just a little creep!!! Just where I wanted it.

I asked him how much he could come off the retail of $510.00 and I laid $450.00 cash in front of him and he took it without even blinking. That is the least I have ever spent on a new 1911, that I have bought for myself. I am looking forward to getting it cleaned up and to the range this weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Looks to me like you did well for yourself. That is a fine looking pistol. I don't have any RIA but I have heard nothing but good things about them. Well there is always a few distracters but the majoity opinion is those guns rock!

CONGRATULATIONS!
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Well thats a sweet looking piece! Look forward to hearing how it does........
  4. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

That is a very nice looking gun. Hope you enjoy it. Please post a range report as I am looking for a 1911, I never had one and I am so confused which way to go. I know these aren't one f the high dollar ones nor is the Norinco I WAS looking at. But as I posted in my Norinco post. Somewhere between the low priced ones and the high priced ones there has to be a limit on just how good they will operate and the reliability of them. At some point I think you begin to pay for a name or a history. Again very nice looking gun. JUNK
  5. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

My brother owned one for a while and those thing are suprisingly nice shootin guns. Enjoy it.
  6. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

Well, as I always do with a new gun, I detail stripped the RIA Tac, cleaned and relubed every part. Everything was good and tight, the way it should be. Took it to the range and fired 50 rounds to test the reliability...perfect. Sent the empty brass in a nice pile just over my right shoulder and never missed a beat. I use the factory mag and two of my Wilson 47D's. All three locked back the slide on empty. All three mags dropped freely when empty. Slide locked into battery fully after each round.

Accuracy and point of impact seems to follow what I have read here and elsewhere. 1"-2" low and 1"-2" left of point of aim. Grouping was fair but not anything to rave about. I shot 8 rounds from the factory mag at 15yards and 25 yards. The ammo was Remington 230gr. FMJ. No wind blowing at all.

15 yard target
    [​IMG]

25 yard target
    [​IMG]
  7. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Well its looks nice to me and I sure wouldnt want you shooting at me at 15 or 25 yards........
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I don't know how i missed this thread.... i must be getting senile?

Nice looking 1911 you have there! :)

mike
    gn
  9. DogRanger

DogRanger New Member

Congrats,only heard good things about them.....
  10. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

Well I finally got back to the range yesterday after having the front sight pushed 1/16" to the left to get the grouping to at least hit center of point of aim. It is still hitting about 1"-1.5" low at 15 & 25yards. The next trip to the range I will take my file with me and hopefully get the point of impact and point of aim to be the same, or I might look for a replacement sight slightly shorter that either has a tritium insert in it or go the fiber optic route. I might even order a front sight from TruGlo that is the combination of both. I have the TFO's on my XD45 and they are the most amaxing sights I have ever had on a gun.
    I also put another 150 rounds through the gun. That makes a total of 250 rounds of 230gr. through it without any malfunctions whatsoever. I am growing more and more fond of and confident in this guns function and dependability.
    I will keep you apprised of the progress with this, what looks to be an unsung hero!!!

tex45acp
  11. paladin

paladin New Member

Nice report. Especially liked how you followed up.

"Unsung" seems to be spot on as an adjective.
  12. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

Well another trip to the range and having adjusted the front sight for the 1"-2" left I also filed 1/32" off the top of the front sight to bring the point of impact closer to the point of aim and this is looking more like what I want out of my handguns. A bit more adjustment and I'll be a happy man.

[​IMG]
  13. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I love my RIA, but it is just the base mil-spec model, i would love to get ahold of some of those sights also. They are the only thing i will change on mine!
  14. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Congrats. All 1911's are beautiful.:D