My first rounds

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by AR guy, Nov 11, 2012.

1. AR guy

AR guy Member

Thanks to all who helped me, my first .223 rounds came out good I gotta say. But there's always room for improvements. All are within specs. And all were with a challenge too. I made 50 rounds and it felt like a lifetime. Can't wait till I get in a groove and start cranking em out. Lol. But without the help of you all I would probably still be working on them. I'll be back askin more just you wait. And thanks again it was greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good for you AR Guy. Producing your own reloads is a good feeling.
  3. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Congrats,,,,I started about 6 months ago with 223 and 308,,Iv,e started doing 8MM and 9MM,,,soon 22-250,,,357,,45ACP and 44Mag
  4. AR guy

AR guy Member

Yeah it feels good, my son (12) he helped my all the way. So our next batch will be bigger it just takes forever to trim by hand. He's pretty happy and wants to start the new batch
    now. I'm too tired but tomorrow's a new day. We have about a little over a thousand .223 shells to load so we'll be busy for awhile.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Congrats ARG! Just make sure before you start loading more quantity that you've got your load how you want it. I start out with no more than 20 at most while testing and then start quantity once all is verified at the range.
  6. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Have you come up with an optimum cartridge length yet
  7. AR guy

AR guy Member

Well I'm just making the length of the shell 1.750" and when I seat it's 2.599" basically I'm keeping it the same length as the 5.56 nato round i have right now. haven't shot them yet just finished a couple of hrs ago. I also filled the charge to min 22.5 gr. But I will shoot before I start mass producing . Thanks
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  8. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Congrats....I did my first .223 loads about a month ago......that included some tracers one of my buddies got for me.
  9. Rogeritall

Rogeritall New Member

Many Congrats AR guy... Looks like some great work there. Personally I can't wait to take my first Coyote with one of my .223 reloads, then I'll feel like I really did well. :)
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Optimum cartridge length for a specific gun is dependent upon the chamber, the only way to find it is to test with the gun in question. If you want optimum cartridge length for a given caliber, then stick with SAAMI specs/reloading spec.
    Depending on the bullet design, I have several different lengths for one gun. The biggest factor is where the ogive of the bullet is.
  11. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Well thats kind of my point,,,if your going to go thru the effort to load your own why wouldn,t you take it a step farther and make the round chamber specific,,,it,s not all that difficult
  12. Evins74s

Evins74s New Member

Thats pretty cool that you were able to get them to float up to the celling like that, just kidding. Glad to know that your son would rather make rounds instead of playing video games.
  13. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Congrats on the reloads. Welcome to the game.

Now can we talk about the gravity issue you seem to have where you live?