my first scattergun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by firelegs22, Jun 20, 2010.

1. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

i've been looking for a good first shotgun, but havent found much on the topic. i know i want a 3 inch 12 gauge, and my budget is $450... first to convince me to get a particular model gets a gold star...GO! oh yeah, i've narrowed it down to pumps and side by sides.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

First off, what do you want to do with it? Hunting? Sport? Self defense? Multi-Purpose?
  3. Sandman

Sandman New Member

For a pump under $450, I would recommend a Remington 870 (wingmaster model if it falls within the budget). It is probably the best buy for the money anywhere out there.
  4. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

+1 on the Remington 870. Either that or a Mossberg 500. Both are easy to change confiuration on for a variety of purposes or needs. And you should easily be able to find a good used one well within your price range and probably have a few buck left over to modify it to your liking.
  5. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

I love my 870 you need one or 4 lol
  6. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

It does depend on what you intend to use it for, but my home defense shotgun is a mossberg 590 A1 with ghost ring sights usually can be found for 399-429.
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Ya, double that on the Mossberg 500 or 590, for self defense.
  8. Cavik

Cavik New Member

My first shotgun, and currently my only shotgun, was/is a Remington 870. I'm still really glad I bought it. Although, I have wondered if a semi-auto shotgun would be better for me. If you're absolutely sure you want a pump-action, I highly recommend the Remington 870.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  9. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

MOSSBERG the only shotgun I would ever stake my life on. I got mine for $350 brand new with 20 inch barrel and 7 rounds of 3 inch in the tube.
  10. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

i am leaning twards the mossberg 500. i'd just want it for shooting stuff. i have a high speed camera and i like shooting stuff on film. it isnt for hunting or self defence. but i want to shoot slugs and shot, would i have to change barrels for the differant types of load, or can one barrel do it all?
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  11. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    One barrel can do it all and if you get an IM or IC choke that will handle most applications. Rifled barrel is only needed if you are going to be shooting Sabot rounds.
  12. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I own the Mossy 500 (and not an 870). It is a good reliable shotgun, but not as smooth, a little more clunky than the 870. If your budget was tight, I would recommend the 500 with no problems. Since you gave a budget of $450, I would recommend spending a little bit more and getting the 870. It is just as reliable and functional, but a little easier on your pump arm.
  13. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

you can get a remington 870 express for around 300 new at walmart. i've owned both remingtons and mossberg shotguns. also have used a winchester 1300. any of these are excellent choices.

i would feel confident in either of the 3 mentioned but i prefer a remington 870. a good used one would run you no more than 250 and as little as 200 in some places.

~john